Bearable Railway Noise Limits in Europe
- 3.8k Downloads
The question ‘What are bearable limits for environmental railway noise?’ is discussed regularly in different forums on a national scale and on a European level. A systematic evaluation of all aspects in what ‘bearable’ could consist of was always missing. The UIC research Project ‘Bearable limits and emission ceilings’ [1, 2] has brought UIC in the position to propose for the first time a well-balanced limit for noise reception. This noise reception limit is a trade-off between the disturbing impact of noise for line side residents and realistic possibilities for viable railways. Findings are based on an extensive study that was commissioned by the UIC and carried out by dBvision in the Netherlands.
KeywordsTraffic Noise Railway Line Noise Emission Noise Limit Road Traffic Noise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Elbers, F.B.J., Verheijen, E.: Exploring bearable noise limits and emission ceilings for the railways Part II: Cost and benefit study for different noise limits (UIC Project ‘Bearable limits and emission ceilings’), dBvision (November 26, 2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Verheijen, E., Elbers, F.B.J.: Exploring bearable noise limits and emission ceilings for the railways Part I: National and European legislation and analysis of different noise limit systems (UIC Project ‘Bearable limits and emission ceilings’), dBvision (October 25, 2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Rail noise abatement measures addressing the existing fleet, COM, 432 final (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Night noise guidelines for Europe, World Health Organisation (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Oertli, J., Hübner, P.: Railway noise in Europe – A 2010 report on the state of the art, UIC (September 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkuszewska, A., Ebenberger, A.: European Rail Infrastructure Masterplan (ERIM) – 2007 Final Report, UIC (January 2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Miedema, H., Passchier-Vermeer, W., Vos, H.: Elements for a position paper on night-time transportation noise and sleep disturbance, TNO Inro (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.de Vos, P.: The railway noise bonus; discussion paper on the noise annoyance correction factor – Final report, UIC (November 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Verheijen, E., Elbers, F.B.J.: Future European noise emission ceilings: Threat or solution? A review based on Swiss and Dutch ceilings. In: Nielsen, J.C.O., Anderson, D., Gautier, P.-E., Iida, M., Nelson, J.T., Thompson, D., Tielkes, T., Towers, D.A., de Vos, P. (eds.) Noise and Vibration Mitigation for Rail Transportation Systems. NNFM, vol. 126, pp. 71–78. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar