Future European Noise Emission Ceilings: Threat or Solution? A Review Based on Swiss and Dutch Ceilings
- 3.8k Downloads
Since 2008, the European Commission recommends Member States to establish noise emission ceilings along their railway corridors. These ceilings should prevent railway noise from increasing due to growing freight transport. This policy instrument is just a rough idea now and it is not clear if (and when) it will be enforced through a directive. However, as the impact of noise emission ceilings on future railway operations could be large, it would be wise for stakeholders to prepare themselves. This paper discusses the pros and cons of ceilings from various points of view, based on experience with Swiss and Dutch ceiling legislation that is in force already.
KeywordsRailway Network Rolling Stock Ceiling Level Rail Freight Noise Barrier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Commission, Rail noise abatement measures addressing the existing fleet, COM, 432 final (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Effective reduction of noise generated by rail freight wagons in the European Union, Roadmap of DG MOVE (April 2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Public and Stakeholder Consultation by DG MOVE (July-October 2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Elbers, F.B.J., Verheijen, E.: Bearable railway noise limits in Europe. In: Nielsen, J.C.O., Anderson, D., Gautier, P.-E., Iida, M., Nelson, J.T., Thompson, D., Tielkes, T., Towers, D.A., de Vos, P. (eds.) Noise and Vibration Mitigation for Rail Transportation Systems. NNFM, vol. 126, pp. 13–19. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Guidelines for Community Noise. World Health Organization, Geneva (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Night Noise Guidelines for Europe. World Health Organization, Geneva (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Final Report on Task 3, Impact Assessment and Proposal of Action Plan, Study on the implementation of the END, Milieu-RPA-TNO (May 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Attinger, R.: Monitoring railway noise in Switzerland from 2003 to 2010. European Rail Technology Review 50(3) (September 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Lärmschutz-Verordnung, SR 814.14/LSV Google Scholar
- 10.Lärmsanierung der Eisenbahnen, Standbericht, Bundesamt für Verkehr (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Exploring bearable noise limits and emission ceilings for the railways - Part I, ref. no. UIC001-01-016 (October 25, 2011), http://www.uic.org/IMG/pdf/p250_bearable_noise_limits_part_i_final.pdf