Improved Approximation Algorithms for Box Contact Representations
We study the following geometric representation problem: Given a graph whose vertices correspond to axis-aligned rectangles with fixed dimensions, arrange the rectangles without overlaps in the plane such that two rectangles touch if the graph contains an edge between them. This problem is called Contact Representation of Word Networks (Crown) since it formalizes the geometric problem behind drawing word clouds in which semantically related words are close to each other. Crown is known to be NP-hard, and there are approximation algorithms for certain graph classes for the optimization version, Max-Crown, in which realizing each desired adjacency yields a certain profit.
We show that the problem is APX-complete on bipartite graphs of bounded maximum degree. We present the first O(1)-approximation algorithm for the general case, when the input is a complete weighted graph, and for the bipartite case. Since the subgraph of realized adjacencies is necessarily planar, we consider several planar graph classes (stars, trees, outerplanar, and planar graphs), improving upon the known results. For some graph classes, we also describe improvements in the unweighted case, where each adjacency yields the same profit.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Bipartite Graph Planar Graph Input Graph Star Center
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barth, L., Fabrikant, S.I., Kobourov, S.G., Lubiw, A., Nöllenburg, M., Okamoto, Y., Pupyrev, S., Squarcella, C., Ueckerdt, T., Wolff, A.: Semantic word cloud representations: Hardness and approximation algorithms. In: Pardo, A., Viola, A. (eds.) LATIN 2014. LNCS, vol. 8392, pp. 514–525. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Bekos, M., van Dijk, T., Fink, M., Kindermann, P., Kobourov, S.G., Pupyrev, S., Spoerhase, J., Wolff, A.: Improved approximation algorithms for box contact representations. Arxiv report (2014) arxiv.org/abs/1403.4861Google Scholar
- 5.Buchsbaum, A.L., Gansner, E.R., Procopiuc, C.M., Venkatasubramanian, S.: Rectangular layouts and contact graphs. ACM Trans. Algorithms 4(1) (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Chekuri, C., Khanna, S.: A PTAS for the multiple knapsack problem. In: 11th ACM-SIAM Symp. Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pp. 213–222. SIAM (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Erkan, G., Radev, D.R.: Lexrank: graph-based lexical centrality as salience in text summarization. J. Artif. Int. Res. 22(1), 457–479 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Li, H.: Word clustering and disambiguation based on co-occurrence data. J. Nat. Lang. Eng. 8(1), 25–42 (2002)Google Scholar