Applicability of Planning and Control in a Port Environment
There is a lot of focus on intermodal transportation, maritime efficiency and port governance in the literature, but there is little regarding how to plan and coordinate activities in ports, especially in the context of small and medium sized ports. This paper will approach the planning tasks in port by using knowledge from the well-investigated field of planning and control in manufacturing and make use of the structure of strategic, tactical and operational planning, but relating this to the non-hierarchical setup found in most smaller ports. The paper finds that the general planning functions found in manufacturing planning and control can be applicable if approached as a way to align capacity and demand, and not focusing on the methods in the planning functions.
KeywordsPort planning coordination non-hierarchical maritime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Vollmann, T.E., Berry, W.L., Whybark, D.C., Jacobs, F.R.: Manufacturing Planning And Control Systems For Supply Chain Management: The Definitive Guide for Professionals, 5th edn. McGraw-Hill Professional (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Stahlbock, R., Voß, S.: Operations research at container terminals: A literature update. Spectr. 30, 1–52 (2007), doi:10.1007/s00291-007-0100-9Google Scholar
- 7.Brooks, M.R., McCalla, R.J., Pallis, A.A., van der Lugt, L.M.: Coordination and Cooperation in Strategic Port Management: The Case of Atlantic Canada’s Ports. Work 902, 494–1825 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Silver, E.A., Pyke, D.F., Peterson, R.: others Inventory management and production planning and scheduling. Wiley, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Koh, S.C.L., Gunasekaran, A.: A knowledge management approach for managing uncertainty in manufacturing. Ind. Manag. Data Syst. 106, 439–459 (2006), doi:10.1108/02635570610661561Google Scholar
- 10.Slack, N., Chambers, S., Johnston, R.: Operations Management. Pearson Education (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Olesen, P.B.: Framework for Information sharing in a Small-to-medium Port System Supply Chain. Adv. Prod. Manag. Syst. Innov. Knowl.-Based Prod. Manag. Glob.-Local World (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Macharis, C., Bontekoning, Y.M.: Opportunities for OR in intermodal freight transport research: A review. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 153, 400–416 (2004), doi:16/S0377-2217(03)00161-9Google Scholar