Mobile Personalised Support in Industrial Environments: Coupling Learning with Context - Aware Features
The human response time to events in a manufacturing environment depends both on the available skills and competencies of technical staff but also on the extent to which actionable and task-relevant content is readily available when and where is needed. Relevance itself is determined by the task situation context, which in turn is influenced by many factors. This paper presents the development of a context-aware mobile support system for personalised assistance in industrial environments. Combining the individual strengths of learning and content management systems with the ubiquity of delivering relevant content to users carrying NFC (Near Field Communication) enabled mobile devices, the system aims at both enhancing personnel competences as well as their work efficiency. The developed solution is customised to serve an industrial maintenance-support application scenario, wherein the relevant context is determined through location and asset identification, as well as through task and user profiling, offering practical on the spot mobile support.
KeywordsNFC mobile support e-maintenance context awareness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Meixner, G., Petersen, N., Koessling, H.: User interaction evolution in the SmartFactory. In: Proceedings of the 24th BCS Interaction Specialist Group Conference, pp. 211–220. British Computer Society, Dundee (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Dey, A.K.: Understanding and Using Context. Personal Ubiquitous Comput. 5(1), 4–7 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Bravo, J., et al.: From implicit to touching interaction: RFID and NFC approaches. In: 2008 Conference on Human System Interactions (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Trottmann, U.: NFC-Possibilities and Risks. Network, 35 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Igoe, T., Coleman, D., Jepson, B.: Beginning NFC: Near Field Communication with Arduino, Android, and PhoneGap, p. 246. O’Reilly Media (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Vauclair, M.: NFC. In: van Tilborg, H.A., Jajodia, S. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Cryptography and Security, pp. 840–842. Springer US (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Garrido, P.C., et al.: A Model for the Development of NFC Context-Awareness Applications on Internet of Things. In: 2010 Second International Workshop on Near Field Communication (NFC) (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhu, J., Ong, S.K., Nee, A.Y.C.: An authorable context-aware augmented reality system to assist the maintenance technicians. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 66(9-12), 1699–1714 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Papathanasiou, N., Emmanouilidis, C., Pistofidis, P., Karampatzakis, D.: Context Aware E-Support in E-Maintenance. In: Emmanouilidis, C., Taisch, M., Kiritsis, D. (eds.) APMS 2012. IFIP AICT, vol. 397, pp. 574–581. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.MIMOSA - Machinery Information Management Open Systems Alliance, http://www.mimosa.org/
- 16.Pistofidis, P., Emmanouilidis, C., Papadopoulos, A., Botsaris, P.N.: Modeling the Semantics of Failure Context as a means to offer Context-Adaptive Maintenance Support. In: Second European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, PHME 2014, Nantes, France (PHM Society), July 8-10 (2014)Google Scholar