NUbugger: A Visual Real-Time Robot Debugging System
As modern autonomous robots have improved in their ability to demonstrate human-like motor skills and reasoning, the size and complexity of software systems have increased proportionally, with developers actively working to leverage the full processing performance of next-generation computational hardware. This software complexity corresponds with increased difficulty in debugging low-level coding issues, with the traditional methodology of inferring such issues from emergent high-level behaviour rapidly approaching intractability. This paper details the development and functionality of NUbugger: a visual, real-time and open source robot debugging utility that provides the user with comprehensive information regarding low-level functionality. This represents a paradigm shift from corrective to preventative debugging, and concrete examples of the application of NUbugger to the identification of fundamental implementation errors are described. The system implementation facilitates simple and rapid extension or modification, making it a useful utility for debugging any similar complex robotic framework.
Keywordsdebugging robotics open source visualisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Budden, D., Fenn, S., Walker, J., Mendes, A.: A novel approach to ball detection for humanoid robot soccer. In: Thielscher, M., Zhang, D. (eds.) AI 2012. LNCS, vol. 7691, pp. 827–838. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Cabello, R.: Three.js (2013), https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/
- 4.Google: Protocol Buffers (2012), https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/
- 5.Ha, I., Tamura, Y., Asama, H., Han, J., Hong, D.: Development of open humanoid platform DARwIn-OP. In: Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference, SICE 2011, pp. 2178–2181. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.iMatrix: ∅MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer (2013), http://www.zeromq.org/
- 8.Michel, O.: Webots: Symbiosis between virtual and real mobile robots. In: Heudin, J.-C. (ed.) Virtual Worlds 1998. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 1434, pp. 254–263. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Nicklin, S.P., Bhatia, S., Budden, D., King, R.A., Kulk, J., Walker, J., Wong, A.S., Chalup, S.K.: The nubots team description for (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Rauch, G.: Socket.IO, http://socket.io/ (2012)
- 13.VisionMedia: Express: Web application framework for node (2013), http://expressjs.com/