Deterministic Rectangle Enclosure and Offline Dominance Reporting on the RAM
We revisit a classical problem in computational geometry that has been studied since the 1980s: in the rectangle enclosure problem we want to report all k enclosing pairs of n input rectangles in 2D. We present the first deterministic algorithm that takes O(nlogn + k) worst-case time and O(n) space in the word-RAM model. This improves previous deterministic algorithms with O((nlogn + k)loglogn) running time. We achieve the result by derandomizing the algorithm of Chan, Larsen and Pătraşcu [SoCG’11] that attains the same time complexity but in expectation.
The 2D rectangle enclosure problem is related to the offline dominance range reporting problem in 4D, and our result leads to the currently fastest deterministic algorithm for offline dominance reporting in any constant dimension d ≥ 4.
A key tool behind Chan et al.’s previous randomized algorithm is shallow cuttings for 3D dominance ranges. Recently, Afshani and Tsakalidis [SODA’14] obtained a deterministic O(nlogn)-time algorithm to construct such cuttings. We first present an improved deterministic construction algorithm that runs in O(nloglogn) time in the word-RAM; this result is of independent interest. Many additional ideas are then incorporated, including a linear-time algorithm for merging shallow cuttings and an algorithm for an offline tree point location problem.
KeywordsQuery Point Deterministic Algorithm Input Point Outer Corner Planar Separator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Afshani, P., Tsakalidis, K.: Optimal deterministic shallow cuttings for 3D dominance ranges. In: Proc. of the 25th An. SODA, pp. 1389–1398. ACM-SIAM (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, T.M., Larsen, K.G., Pătraşcu, M.: Orthogonal range searching on the RAM, revisited. In: Proc. of the 27th SoCG, pp. 1–10. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Chan, T.M., Pătraşcu, M.: Counting inversions, offline orthogonal range counting, and related problems. In: Proc. of the 21st An. SODA, pp. 161–173. ACM-SIAM (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Preparata, F.P., Shamos, M.I.: Computational Geometry - An Introduction. Springer (1985)Google Scholar
- 20.Ramos, E.A.: On range reporting, ray shooting and k-level construction. In: Proc. of the 15th SoCG, pp. 390–399. ACM (1999)Google Scholar