A Symbolic Approach to Compute a Null-Space Basis in the Projection Method
- 610 Downloads
We present a hybrid symbolic-numeric approach for the so-called projection method for solving the parameterized differential-algebraic constraint equations associated with multibody mechanical systems. A primary problem in this approach is computing a null-space basis of a matrix of multivariate rational functions, the Jacobian of the symbolic constraint matrix. A purely symbolic approach is untenable in terms of the sheer size of the output, whereas a purely numerical approach does not offer the flexibility of leaving some or all parameters unspecified. Instead we propose a hybrid approach, which does a symbolic preconditioning, followed by representing the null-space basis by straight-line C code, i.e., a black-box null-space basis. We do this in a numerically sensitive way, and show that our black box is numerically robust at almost all parameter settings. This is verified by experimental results on inputs from typical multibody models.
KeywordsSingular Value Decomposition Multibody System Gaussian Elimination Permutation Matrice Random Evaluation
The authors thank Dr. Jürgen Gerhard, Maplesoft Inc., for the motivating problem and his many helpful remarks. This work was supported in part by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and MITACS Canada.
- 7.Haug, E.J.: Computer Aided Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanical Systems. volume 1 of Allyn and Bacon series in engineering. Prentice Hall College Div, Upper Saddle River (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaltofen, E., Yang, Z., Zhi, L.: On probabilistic analysis of randomization in hybrid symbolic-numeric algorithms. In: Proceedings of SNC’07, pp. 11–17 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, X.S., Demmel, J.W.: Making sparse gaussian elimination scalable by static pivoting. In: Proceedings of Supercomputing ’98, pp. 1–17 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Meyer, C.D.: Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. SIAM (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Moore, B., Piedbœuf, J.-C., Bernardin, L.: Maple as an automatic code generator? Maple Summer Workshop, (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Waterloo Maple Inc., MapleSim User’s Guide. (2011). http://www.maplesoft.com/view.aspx?SF=122742/387839/MapleSimUserGuid.pdf
- 16.Zhou, W., Jeffrey, D.J., Reid, G.J., Schmitke, C., McPhee, J.: Implicit reduced involutive forms and their application to engineering multibody systems. In IWMM/GIAE, pp. 31–43 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhou, W., Carette, J., Jeffrey, D.J., Monagan, M.B.: Hierarchical representations with signatures for large expression management. Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence and Symbolic Computation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4120, (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Zippel, R.: Probabilistic algorithms for sparse polynomials. In: Proceedings of EUROSAM 79, pp. 216–226, Marseille (1979)Google Scholar