Support for Domain Constraints in the Validation of Ontologically Well-Founded Conceptual Models
In order to increase the accuracy of conceptual models, graphical languages such as UML are often enriched with textual constraint languages such as the Object Constraint Language (OCL). This enables modelers to benefit from the simplicity of diagrammatic languages while retaining the expressiveness required for producing accurate models. In this paper, we discuss how OCL is used to enrich a conceptual model assessment tool based on an ontologically well-founded profile of the Unified Modeling Language (UML) that assumes multiple and dynamic classification (called OntoUML). In the approach, OCL expressions are transformed into Alloy statements enabling model validation and assertion verification with the Alloy Analyzer. The tool we have developed allows modelers with no Alloy expertise to express constraints in OCL enriching OntoUML models.
KeywordsConceptual Model Validation Domain Constraints OCL Alloy OntoUML
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Benevides, A.B., Guizzardi, G., Braga, B.F.B., Almeida, J.P.A.: Validating modal aspects of OntoUML conceptual models using automatically generated visual world structures. J. Univers. Comput. Sci. 16, 2904–2933 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Cunha, A., Garis, A., Riesco, D.: Translating between Alloy specifications and UML class diagrams annotated with OCL. Softw. Syst. Model (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Eclipse EMF, http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/
- 8.Eclipse MDT OCL, http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/
- 10.Guarino, N.: Toward Formal Evaluation of Ontology Quality. IEEE Intell. Syst. 19(4), 78–79 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Guizzardi, G.: Ontological Foundations for Structural Conceptual Models. Telematica Instituut, The Netherlands (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Jackson, D.: Software Abstractions-Logic, Language, and Analysis, Revised Edition. The MIT Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Massoni, T., Gheyi, R., Borba, P.: Formal Refactoring for UML Class Diagrams. In: 19th Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering (SBES), pp. 152–167 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Mylopoulos, J.: Conceptual Modeling and Telos. In: Conceptual Modeling, Databases, and CASE: An Integrated View of Information Systems Development. Wiley, Chichester (1992)Google Scholar
- 17.NEMO OntoUML Infrastructure, http://nemo.inf.ufes.br/en/ontoumlsupport
- 18.OMG: Object Constraint Language, version 2.3.1 (2012)Google Scholar