Efficient and Generalized Decentralized Monitoring of Regular Languages
This paper proposes an efficient and generalized decentralized monitoring algorithm allowing to detect satisfaction or violation of any regular specification by local monitors alone in a system without central observation point. Our algorithm does not assume any form of synchronization between system events and communication of monitors, uses state machines as underlying mechanism for efficiency, and tries to keep the number and size of messages exchanged between monitors to a minimum. We provide a full implementation of the algorithm with an open-source benchmark to evaluate its efficiency in terms of number, size of exchanged messages, and delay induced by communication between monitors. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of our algorithm which outperforms the previous most general one along several (new) monitoring metrics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sen, K., Vardhan, A., Agha, G., Rosu, G.: Decentralized runtime analysis of multithreaded applications. In: 20th Parallel and Distributed Processing Symp. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Pnueli, A.: The temporal logic of programs. In: 18th Annual Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 46–57 (1977)Google Scholar
- 6.Graf, S., Peled, D., Quinton, S.: Monitoring distributed systems using knowledge. In: Bruni, R., Dingel, J. (eds.) FMOODS/FORTE 2011. LNCS, vol. 6722, pp. 183–197. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Y., Yoo, T.S., Lafortune, S.: New results on decentralized diagnosis of discrete event systems. In: 42nd Ann. Allerton Conf. on Comm., Control, and Computing (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Tripakis, S.: Decentralized observation problems. In: 44th IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, pp. 6–11. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Bartocci, E.: Sampling-based decentralized monitoring for networked embedded systems. In: 3rd Int. Work. on Hybrid Autonomous Systems. EPTCS, vol. 124, pp. 85–99 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Cornebize, T., Falcone, Y.: DecentMon2 (2013), http://decentmon2.forge.imag.fr
- 18.Bauer, A.K.: LTL2Mon (2009), http://ltl3tools.sourceforge.net
- 19.Dwyer, M.B., Avrunin, G.S., Corbett, J.C.: Patterns in property specifications for finite-state verification. In: Intl. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE), pp. 411–420. ACM (1999)Google Scholar
- 20.Alavi, H., Avrunin, G., Corbett, J., Dillon, L., Dwyer, M., Pasareanu, C.: Specification patterns website (2011), http://patterns.projects.cis.ksu.edu/