Stochastic Optimization for Operating Chemical Processes under Uncertainty
Mathematical optimization techniques are on their way to becoming a standard tool in chemical process engineering. While such approaches are usually based on deterministic models, uncertainties such as external disturbances play a significant role in many real-life applications. The present article gives an introduction to practical issues of process operation and to basic mathematical concepts required for the explicit treatment of uncertainties by stochastic optimization.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. T. Biegler, I. E. Grossmann, and A. W. Westerberg. Systematic Methods of Chemical Process Design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Bukszâr and A. Prékopa. Probability bounds with cherry trees. Math. Oper. Res. Google Scholar
- 9.J. Gmehling, U. Onken, and W. Arlt. VLE Data Collection. DECHEMA, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.I. E. Grossmann and A. W. Westerberg. Research challenges in process systems engineering. AI. Che. J., 46:1700–1703, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Henrion. A note on the connectedness of chance constraints. Preprint 21, Stochastic Programming Eprint Series (SPEPS), 2000. Submitted to J. Optim. Theory Appl.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Kail and S. W. Wallace. Stochastic Programming. Wiley, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Prékopa. Stochastic Programming. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.R. C. Reid, J. M. Prausnitz, and B. E. Poling. The Properties of Gases and Liquids. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 22.W. D. Seider, J. D. Seader, and D. R. Lewin. Process Design Principles: Synthesis, Analysis and Evaluation. Wiley, New York, 1998.Google Scholar
- 23.M. C. Steinbach. Fast Recursive SQP Methods for Large-Scale Optimal Control Problems. Ph. D. dissertation, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 1995.Google Scholar
- 25.M. C. Steinbach. Hierarchical sparsity in multistage convex stochastic programs. In S. P. Uryasev and P. M. Pardalos, editors, Stochastic Optimization: Algorithms and Applications, 363–388, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001. Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- 26.M. C. Steinbach. Tree-sparse convex programs. Technical Report ZR-01–08, ZIB, 2001. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 27.T. Szântai and A. Habib. On the k-out-of-r-from-n: F system with unequal element probabilities. In F. Gianessi et al., editor, New Trends in Mathematical Programming, 289–303. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1998.Google Scholar