The Naming of the Beast. Scrutinizing Concepts of Technology Rich Futures
Constructive Technology Assessment (CTA) aims to involve a multitude of stakeholders in discussions involving technology. However, all technological assessment is mediated through concepts. Development of concepts regarding technology rich futures has been lively but confusing for many stakeholders. Utilizing bibliographic data from Web of Science, this article overviews and discusses ten influential concepts that have played an important role during the 2000s. It is argued that the lively and dynamic concept production leads to numerous problems for a CTA approach.
- Ashton, K. (2009). That ‘Internet of things’ thing-In the real world, things matter more than ideas. RFID Journal (22 June). http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?4986. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Augusto, J. C., & Aghajan, H. (2009). Editorial: Inaugural issue. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, 1(1), 1–4.Google Scholar
- Badger, M., Bushmitch, D. Agnish, V., Cozby, R. Fikus, J., Halloran, F., & Chang, K. et al. (2012). Laboratory-based end-to-end network system of systems integration, design and risk reduction: Critical activity for system of systems integration directorate and the army. military communications conference, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/milcom.2012.6415712.
- Berners-Lee, T., Hendler, J., & Lassila, O. (2001). The semantic web. Scientific American (May), 29–37.Google Scholar
- Bizer, C., Heath, T., Idehen, K., & Berners-Lee, T. (2008). Linked data-The story so far. In T. Heath, M. Hepp, & C. Bizer, C. (Eds.), Special issue on linked data, International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS). http://tomheath.com/papers/bizer-heath-berners-lee-ijswis-linked-data.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Brumitt, B., Meyers, B., Krumm, J., Kern, A., & Shafer, S. (2000). Easyliving: Technologies for intelligent environments. In H. W. Gellersen (Ed.), Handheld and ubiquitous computing (pp. 97–119). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Cook, D. J., & Das, S. K. (2005). Smart environments-Technologies, protocols, and applications. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Ducatel, K., Bogdanowicz, M., Scapolo, F., Leijten, J., & Burgelman, J.-C. (2001). Scenarios for ambient intelligence in 2010-Final report. Seville: Institute for Prospective Technological Studies. https://cordis.europa.eu/pub/ist/docs/istagscenarios2010.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Fenn, J., & LeHong, H. (2011). Hype cycle for emerging technologies. Gartner Research 2011. https://www.gartner.com/doc/1754719/hype-cycle-emerging-technologies-.
- Finkelstein, A. C. W., Savigni, A., Kappel, G., Retschitzegger, W., Kimmerstorfer, E.,Schwinger, W., & Feichtner, C. (2002). Ubiquitous web application development-A framework for understanding. Paper presented at the 6th World Multiconference on Systematics, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI), Orlando, FL. http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/A.Finkelstein/papers/uwa.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Garfield, E. (1979). Citation indexing: Its theory and application in science, technology, and humanities. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Gluhak, A., Bauer, M., Montagut, F., Stirbu, V., Johansson, M., Vercher, J. B., et al. (2009). Towards an architecture for a real world internet. In G. Tselentis, J. Domingue, A. Galis, A. Gavras, D. Hausheer, S. Krco, V. Lotz, & T. Zahariadis (Eds.), Towards the future internet: A European research (pp. 313–324). Amsterdam: IOS Press.Google Scholar
- Guinard, D., & Trifa, V. (2009). Towards the web of things: Web Mashups for embedded devices. Paper presented at the Workshop on Mashups, Enterprise Mashups and Lightweight Composition on the Web (MEM 2009). Madrid, Spain. http://webofthings.org/2009/04/20/web-mashups-mem/. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Huang, C. M., Jang, M. Y., & Chao, Y. C. (2000). CTW: An integrated computer and telephone-accessed WWW system. Software: Practice and Experience, 30(13), 1485–1507.Google Scholar
- Kelley, M., & Pei, R. (1999). C4I2WS system of systems integration for the future army. In N. L. Faust, & S. Kessinger (Eds.), Modeling, simulation, and visualization for real and virtual environments. Papers Presented at Aerosense, 3694 (pp. 215–222). Orlando: SPIE Press.Google Scholar
- Knichel, D. G. (2010). Life after future combat system, a family of ground robotic systems. In G. R. Gerhart, D. W. Gage, & C. M. Shoemaker (Eds.), Unmanned Systems Technology XII, 7692. FL: SPIE.Google Scholar
- Krueger, M. W. (1977). Responsive environments. In Proceedings of the June 13–16, 1977, National computer conference (pp. 423–433). ACM, New York.Google Scholar
- Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (2008). Metaphors we live by. Chicago: University of Chicago press.Google Scholar
- Liu, C., Zhou, X., & Orlowska, M. E. (1998). Issues in work flow and web-based work flow systems. Paper presented at the 1998 Asia Pacific Web Conference (APWeb98), Beijing, 27–30 September. http://www.it.swin.edu.au/personal/cliu/APWeb98.ps. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Logenthiran, A., Pratiwadi, R., Logenthiran, D., Porebski, A., & Thomas, D.W. (1998). Software migration of telecommunication network management systems to the web using CORBA and Java. Paper presented at the thirty-first Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kohala Coast, HI, 6–9 January. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=649265. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- O’Reilly, T. (2005). What is Web 2.0? Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- Rip, A. (2008). Nanoscience and nanotechnologies: Bridging gaps through constructive technology assessment. In G. Hirsch Hadorn, H. Hoffmann-Riem, S. Biber-Klemm, W. Grossenbacher-Mansuy, D. Joye, C. Pohl, U. Wiesmann, & E. Zemp (Eds.), Handbook of transdisciplinary research (pp. 145–157). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Sundmaeker, H., Guillemin, P., Friess, P., & Woelfflé, S. (Eds.). (2010). Vision and challenges for realising the internet of things. Brussels: European Commission, Information Society and Media.Google Scholar
- Weiser, M. (1995). The last link: The technologist’s responsibilities and social change. Computer-Mediated Communication Magazine, 2(4), 17.Google Scholar
- Zelkha, E., & Epstein, B. (1998). From devices to ‘Ambient intelligence’: The transformation of consumer electronics. Paper presented at the digital living room conference, Philips, June 12.Google Scholar