Resource-Efficient Nanoparticle Classification Using Frequency Domain Analysis
We present a method for resource-efficient classification of nanoparticles such as viruses in liquid or gas samples by analyzing Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) images using frequency domain features. The SPR images are obtained with the Plasmon Assisted Microscopy Of Nano-sized Objects (PAMONO) biosensor, which was developed as a mobile virus and particle detector. Convolutional neural network (CNN) solutions are available for the given task, but since the mobility of the sensor is an important factor, we provide a faster and less resource demanding alternative approach for the use in a small virus detection device. The execution time of our approach, which can be optimized further using low power hardware such as a digital signal processor (DSP), is at least 2:6 times faster than the current CNN solution while sacrificing only 1 to 2.5 percent points in accuracy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lenssen JE, Toma A, Seebold A, et al. Real-time low SNR signal processing for nanoparticle analysis with deep neural networks. Biosignals. 2018; p. 36-47.Google Scholar
- 2.Ovtcharov K, Ruwase O, Kim JY, et al. Accelerating deep convolutional neural networks using specialized hardware. Microsoft Res. 2015;.Google Scholar
- 3.Andri R, Cavigelli L, Rossi D, et al. YodaNN: an ultra-low power convolutional neural network accelerator based on binary weights. ISVLSI. 2016; p. 236-241.Google Scholar
- 5.Siedhoff D, Libuschewski P,Weichert F, et al. Modellierung und Optimierung eines Biosensors zur Detektion viraler Strukturen. Procs BVM. 2014; p. 108-113.Google Scholar
- 8.Kretschmann E. The determination of the optical constants of metals by excitation of surface plasmons. Eur Phys J A. 1971;241:313-324.Google Scholar
- 9.Github: deepRacin; Accessed 12/2018. “https://github.com/mrjel/deepracin“.
- 10.Pedregosa F, Varoquaux G, Gramfort A, et al. Scikit-learn: machine learning in python. J Mach Learn Res. 2011;12:2825-2830.Google Scholar