Downsized Engine optimised for CNG Operation
Gasoline engine downsizing is already established as a technology to reduce automotive fleet CO2 emissions. Further benefits are possible through more aggressive downsizing, however, the trade-off between the CO2 reduction achieved and vehicle drive-ability limits the level of engine downsizing currently adopted . The ability to maintain or increase the level of engine downsizing, while retaining good fuel efficiency across the majority of the engine operating map, would provide manufacturers with a transferable, and scalable, means for assisting in meeting these stringent new CO2 targets across their entire fleet.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adlercreutz L, Cronhjort A, Andersen J, et al. Optimizing the Natural Gas Engine for CO2 reduction. SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0875, 2016.Google Scholar
- 2.Tuner M, Review and Benchmarking of Alternative Fuels in Conventional and Advanced Engine Concepts with Emphasis on Efficiency, CO2, and Regulated Emissions. SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0882, 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.R. van Basshuysen, Erdgas und erneuerbares Methan für den Fahrzeugantrieb. Wiesbaden, Springer Fachmedien, 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.Reif K, Ottomotor-Management im Überblick, Wiesbaden: Springer Fachmedien, 2015.Google Scholar
- 5.Heywood, J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988, ISBN 007-00499-8.Google Scholar
- 6.ASTM D2699 – 16, Standard Test Method for Research Octane Number of Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel, https://www.astm.org/Standards/D2699.htm
- 7.United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change,Global Warming potentials, http://unfccc.int/ghg_data/items/3825.php
- 8.Hancock D, Fraser N, Jeremy M, et al. A New 3 Cylinder 1.2l Advanced Downsizing Technology Demonstrator Engine. SAE Paper 2008-01-0611, 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Lumsden G, OudeNijeweme D, Fraser N, et al. Development of a Turbocharged Direct Injection Downsizing Demonstrator Engine. SAE Paper 2009-01-1503, 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.Bassett M, Hall J, Hibberd B, et al. Heavily Downsized Gasoline Demonstrator. SAE Paper 2016-01-0663, 2016.Google Scholar
- 11.Korte V, Fraser N, Rueckauf J, et al. MAHLE-Bosch Demonstrator Vehicle for Advanced Downsizing. 19th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2010.Google Scholar