The Sparse-Grid Combination Technique Applied to Time-Dependent Advection Problems
In the numerical technique considered in this paper, time-stepping is performed on a set of semi-coarsened space grids. At given time levels the solutions on the different space grids are combined to obtain the asymptotic convergence of a single, fine uniform grid. We present error estimates for the two-dimensional, spatially constant-coefficient model problem and discuss numerical examples. A spatially variable-coefficient problem (Molenkamp-Crowley test) is used to assess the practical merits of the technique. The combination technique is shown to be more efficient than the single-grid approach, yet for the Molenkamp-Crowley test standard Richardson extrapolation is still more efficient than the combination technique. However, parallelization is expected to significantly improve the combination technique’s performance.
Keywordsadvection problems sparse grids combination techniques error analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Zenger, Sparse grids, in: W. Hackbusch, ed., Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 31, 241–251 (Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1991 ).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Griebel, M. Schneider and C. Zenger, A combination technique for the solution of sparse grid problems, in: R. Beauwens and P. de Groen, eds., Iterative Methods in Linear Algebra, 263–281 ( North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1992 ).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Griebel and G. Zumbusch, Adaptive sparse grids for hyperbolic conservation laws, in: M. Fey and R. Jeltsch, eds., Hyperbolic Problems: Theory, Numerics, Applications, International Series of Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 129 ( Birkhäuser, Basel, 1999 ).Google Scholar
- 4.B. Lastdrager, B. Koren and J. Verwer, The sparse-grid combination technique applied to time-dependent advection problems, Report (in print), CWI, Amsterdam 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.B. Lastdrager and B. Koren, Error analysis for function representation by the sparse-grid combination technique, Report MAS-R9823, CWI, Amsterdam 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.U. Rüde, Multilevel, extrapolation and sparse grid methods, in: P.W. Hemker and P. Wesseling, eds., Multigrid Methods IV, International Series of Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 116, 281–294 ( Birkhäuser, Basel, 1993 ).Google Scholar