Improving Performance of SDH/SONET-WDM Multilayer Networks Using Weighted Integrated Routing
This work deals with routing schemes in SDH/SONET-WDM multilayer networks applying Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) or Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) on top of a dynamic photonic network in Wavelength Division Multiplex technology (WDM). The focus are integrated routing schemes which benefit from an integrated view of the SDH/SONET layer and the optical layer. Besides the comparison of known non-integrated and integrated methods, the new routing scheme Weighted Integrated Routing (WIR) is presented and its performance evaluated. In contrast to other known integrated routing schemes, WIR uses rating functions to evaluate different path alternatives and select the best route. In addition to the analysis of the different routing schemes, the dimensioning of network resources is treated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T G.astn Draft V.0.3, “Architecture for the Automatic Switched Transport Network (ASTN)”Google Scholar
- 3.K. Zhu, B. Mukherjee: “On-Line Approaches for Provisioning Connections of Different Bandwidth Granularities in WDM Mesh Networks”, Proceedings of the Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC 2002), AnaheimGoogle Scholar
- 4.M. Kodialam, T.V. Lakshman: “Integrated Dynamic IP and Wavelength Routing in IP over WDM Networks”, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 2001, New York City, Vol. 1, pp. 358–366Google Scholar
- 6.ITU-T Rec. G.707/clause 11, “Network Node Interface for the Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH)”, 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering: “IND Simulation Library”, www.ind.uni-stuttgart.de/INDSimLib/INDSimLib
- 10.K.-C. Lee, V.O.K. Li: “Routing and Switching in a Wavelength Convertible Optical Network”, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 1993, Vol. 2, pp. 578–585Google Scholar