Reduced Order Modelling Approaches to PDE-Constrained Optimization Based on Proper Orthogonal Decomposition
Reduced order modelling techniques can be used in order to circumvent computational difficulties due to large-scale state equations related to PDE-constrained optimization problems. However, if reduced order modelling based on the Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) is performed, it is necessary to include an update mechanism into the optimization procedure in order to guarantee reliable reduced order state solutions during the course of the optimization. Furthermore, specific modelling issues should be taken into account such that sufficiently accurate gradient information is obtained during the optimization process. In this context, we discuss some relevant topics arising from the POD based reduced order modelling approach.
KeywordsProper Orthogonal Decomposition Reduce Order Model Adjoint Equation Trust Region Method Proper Orthogonal Decomposition Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arian, E., Fahl, M., Sachs, E.W.: Trust-region proper orthogonal decomposition for flow control. ICASE Report No. 2000-25, ICASE, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, 2000Google Scholar
- 2.Fahl, M.: Trust-region methods for flow control based on reduced order modelling. PhD thesis, Universität Trier, Trier, 2000Google Scholar
- 3.Dikowy, F., Volkwein, S.: Nonlinear boundary control for the heat equation utilizing proper orthogonal decomposition. Report, Unlversität Graz, 15 pages, 2001Google Scholar
- 4.Lumley, J.L.: Coherent structures in turbulence. In: RE. Meyer (ed.), Transition and Turbulence, Academic Press, New York, 1981, pp. 215–242Google Scholar
- 6.Ly, H.V., Tran, H.T.: Proper orthogonal decomposition for flow calculations and optimal control in a horizontal CVD reactor. Techreport CRSC-TR-98-13, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Atwell, J.A., King, B.B.: Proper orthogonal decomposition for reduced basis controllers for parabolic equations. ICAM Report No. 99-01-01, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, 1999Google Scholar
- 8.Tang, KY., Graham, W.R., Peraire, J.:, Active Flow Control using a reduced order Model and optimum control. AIAA 96-1946, 1996Google Scholar
- 9.Kunisch, K, Volkwein, S.: Galerkin proper orthogonal decomposition methods for parabolic problems. Bericht Nr. 171, Spezialforschungsbereich F 003 Kontrolle und Optimierung, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Graz, 1999Google Scholar
- 10.Banks, H.T., Joyner, M.L., Wincheski, B., Winfree, W.P.:, Evaluation of material integrity using reduced order computational methodology. Techreport CRSC-TR-99-30, North Caroliona State University, Raleigh, 1999Google Scholar