Scale-Invariant Fully Homomorphic Encryption over the Integers
At Crypto 2012, Brakerski constructed a scale-invariant fully homomorphic encryption scheme based on the LWE problem, in which the same modulus is used throughout the evaluation process, instead of a ladder of moduli when doing “modulus switching”. In this paper we describe a variant of the van Dijk et al. FHE scheme over the integers with the same scale-invariant property. Our scheme has a single secret modulus whose size is linear in the multiplicative depth of the circuit to be homomorphically evaluated, instead of exponential; we therefore construct a leveled fully homomorphic encryption scheme. This scheme can be transformed into a pure fully homomorphic encryption scheme using bootstrapping, and its security is still based on the Approximate-GCD problem.
We also describe an implementation of the homomorphic evaluation of the full AES encryption circuit, and obtain significantly improved performance compared to previous implementations: about 23 seconds (resp. 3 minutes) per AES block at the 72-bit (resp. 80-bit) security level on a mid-range workstation.
Finally, we prove the equivalence between the (error-free) decisional Approximate-GCD problem introduced by Cheon et al. (Eurocrypt 2013) and the classical computational Approximate-GCD problem. This equivalence allows to get rid of the additional noise in all the integer-based FHE schemes described so far, and therefore to simplify their security proof.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BGV12]Brakerski, Z., Gentry, C., Vaikuntanathan, V.: (Leveled) fully homomorphic encryption without bootstrapping. In: Goldwasser, S. (ed.) ITCS 2012, pp. 309–325. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- [BV11a]Brakerski, Z., Vaikuntanathan, V.: Efficient fully homomorphic encryption from (standard) LWE. In: FOCS 2011, pp. 97–106. IEEE Computer Society (2011)Google Scholar
- [CH12]Cohn, H., Heninger, N.: Approximate common divisors via lattices. In: ANTS X (2012)Google Scholar
- [CLT13]Coron, J.-S., Lepoint, T., Tibouchi, M.: Batch fully homomorphic encryption over the integers. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2013/036 (2013), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- [CLT14]Coron, J.-S., Lepoint, T., Tibouchi, M.: Scale-invariant fully homomorphic encryption over the integers. Full version of this paper. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2014/032 (2014), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- [Gen09]Gentry, C.: Fully homomorphic encryption using ideal lattices. In: Mitzenmacher, M. (ed.) STOC, pp. 169–178. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- [Gt13]Torbjörn Granlund and the GMP development team. GNU MP: The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library, 5.1.3 edition (2013), http://gmplib.org/
- [KLYC13]Kim, J., Lee, M.S., Yun, A., Cheon, J.H.: CRT-based fully homomorphic encryption over the integers. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2013/057 (2013), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- [Reg05]Regev, O.: On lattices, learning with errors, random linear codes, and cryptography. In: Gabow, H.N., Fagin, R. (eds.) STOC 2005, pp. 84–93. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- [SV11]Smart, N.P., Vercauteren, F.: Fully homomorphic SIMD operations. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, 2011:133 (2011)Google Scholar