Communication Strategies in Distributed Agent-Based Simulations: The Experience with D-Mason
Agent-Based simulation Models (ABMs) are a very powerful experimental tool of analysis, used in many scientific and technological communities of researchers, to assess and predict the dynamic unfolding of a series of events or processes, according to the imposition of certain conditions, given by the analyst. The computing power usually represents a limit for such simulations and the traditional answer to the need for computing power is to invest in computer resources. D-Mason is a framework for parallelizing simulations developed on top of Mason toolkit. The goal of D-Mason is to exploit wasted computing power in a network of computers, eventually heterogeneous, as a research lab or a cluster of workstation.
In this paper we present a novel communication strategy using Publish/ Subscribe paradigm through a layer based on the MPI Standard.
KeywordsPublish/Subscribe MPI Agent-based simulation models Mason D-Mason Parallel Computing Distributed Systems High Performance Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baker, M., Carpenter, B., Shafi, A.: Mpj express: towards thread safe java hpc. In: 2006 IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, pp. 1–10. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Balan, G.C., Cioffi-Revilla, C., Luke, S., Panait, L., Paus, S.: MASON: A Java Multi-Agent Simulation Library. In: Proceedings of the Agent 2003 Conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Carpenter, B., Fox, G.C., Ko, S.-H., Lim, S.: mpijava 1.2: Api specification (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Cordasco, G., De Chiara, R., Mancuso, A., Mazzeo, D., Scarano, V., Spagnuolo, C.: Bringing together efficiency and effectiveness in distributed simulations: the experience with D-MASON. In: SIMULATION: Transactions of The Society for Modeling and Simulation International (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Gropp, W., Lusk, E., Skjellum, A.: Using MPI: portable parallel programming with the message-passing interface, 2nd edn. MIT Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, J.: Parallel discrete-event simulation (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Luke, S., Cioffi-revilla, C., Panait, L., Sullivan, K.: Mason: A new multi-agent simulation toolkit. University of Michigan (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Mamidala, A.R., Kumar, R., De, D., Panda, D.K.: Mpi collectives on modern multicore clusters: Performance optimizations and communication characteristicsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Mancuso, A.: Un framework per simulazione massiva distribuita basata su agenti D-MASON: Comunicazione e system management, B. Sc. Computer Science’s Thesis (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Message. MPI-2: Extensions to the Message-Passing Interface. Technical report, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA (July 1997)Google Scholar
- 16.http://mpj-express.org/performance.html (accessed: April 25, 2013)
- 17.http://www.isislab.it/projects/dmason/. D-MASON Official Website (accessed May 2013)
- 18.http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/index.htm. MPI Standard Official Website (accessed: April 25, 2013)
- 19.http://www.open-mpi.org/. Open MPI Official Website (accessed: April 25, 2013)
- 20.WeiQin, T., Hua, Y., WenSheng, Y.: Pjmpi: pure java implementation of mpi. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference/Exhibition on High Performance Computing in the Asia-Pacific Region, vol. 1, pp. 533–535. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar