Recent Developments in Optimization pp 60-71
A Survey of Examples of Convex Functions and Classifications of Normed Spaces
This paper represents a slightly extended version of the eponymous talk given at the VII Colloque Franco-Allemand d’Optimisation. My aim is to illustrate the tight connection between the sequential properties of a Banach space and the corresponding properties of the convex functions and sets which may or may not be defined on that space.
Keywordsconvex functions sequential properties differentiability nearest points classical Banach spaces Haar-null sets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.M. Borwein, S. Fitzpatrick and J. Vanderwerff, “Examples of convex functions and classifications of normed spaces,” Journal of Convex Analysis,in press.Google Scholar
- J.M. Borwein and A.S. Lewis, “Partially-finite convex programming, (I) & (II),” Math. Programming, Series B, 57 (1992) 15–48, 49–84.Google Scholar
- J.M. Borwein and D.Noll, “Second order differentiability of convex functions in Banach spaces,” Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 342 (1994) 43–82.Google Scholar
- J.M. Borwein and J.D. Vanderwerff, `Banach spaces which admit support sets,“ Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.,in press.Google Scholar
- M. M. Day, Normed Linear Spaces, 3rd ed, ( Springer-Verlag, New York, 1973 ).Google Scholar
- J. Diestel, Geometry of Banach Spaces — Selected Topics, ( Springer-Verlag, New York, 1975 ).Google Scholar
- M. Edelstein and A. C. Thompson, “Some results on nearest points and support properties of convex sets in co,” Pacific J. Math., 40 (1972) 553–560.Google Scholar
- R.B. Holmes, Geometric Functional Analysis and its Applications, ( Springer-Verlag, New York, 1975 ).Google Scholar
- E. Matouskova and C. Stegall, “A characterization of reflexive spaces,” Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.,in press.Google Scholar
- R.R. Phelps, Convex Functions, Monotone Operators and Differentiability, 2nd ed., ( Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993 ).Google Scholar