Effective and Efficient Data Reduction for the Subset Interconnection Design Problem
The NP-hard Subset Interconnection Design problem is motivated by applications in designing vacuum systems and scalable overlay networks. It has as input a set V and a collection of subsets V 1, V 2, …, V m , and asks for a minimum-cardinality edge set E such that for the graph G = (V,E) all induced subgraphs G[V 1], G[V 2], …, G[V m ] are connected. It has also been studied under the name Minimum Topic-Connected Overlay. We study Subset Interconnection Design in the context of polynomial-time data reduction rules that preserve optimality. Our contribution is threefold: First, we point out flaws in earlier polynomial-time data reduction rules. Second, we provide a fixed-parameter tractability result for small subset sizes and tree-like output graphs. Third, we show linear-time solvability in case of a constant number m of subsets, implying fixed-parameter tractability for the parameter m. To achieve our results, we elaborate on polynomial-time data reduction rules (partly “repairing” previous flawed ones) which also may be of practical use in solving Subset Interconnection Design.
KeywordsData Reduction Search Tree Overlay Network Reduction Rule Problem Kernel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Angluin, D., Aspnes, J., Reyzin, L.: Inferring social networks from outbreaks. In: Hutter, M., Stephan, F., Vovk, V., Zeugmann, T. (eds.) ALT 2010. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 6331, pp. 104–118. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Chockler, G., Melamed, R., Tock, Y., Vitenberg, R.: Constructing scalable overlays for pub-sub with many topics. In: Proc. 26th PODC, pp. 109–118. ACM (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Fan, H., Wu, Y.-L.: Interconnection graph problem. In: Proc. FCS 2008, pp. 51–55. CSREA Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Flum, J., Grohe, M.: Parameterized Complexity Theory. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Niedermeier, R.: Invitation to Fixed-Parameter Algorithms. Oxford University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Tang, T.-Z.: An optimality condition for minimum feasible graphs. Applied Mathematics - A Journal of Chinese Universities, 24–21 (1989) (in Chinese)Google Scholar