Multinationals as Vectors of Corporate Governance Improvement in Emerging Economies in Eastern Europe: A Case Study
Emerging economies are characterized by a reduced level of transparency and accountability of their business environment. Previous research on corporate governance practices in these economies has highlighted the difficulties of implementing corporate governance codes, the reduced level of compliance with these codes and the reluctance of local businesses to change the manner in which they are managed. In this context, multinational corporations (MNCs) are often perceived as “knowledge transfer” agents contributing to the improvement of local practices. However, the transfer is not unilateral, but it should be rather seen as a process of mutual transformation and adaptation. The aim of this chapter is to investigate the role of multinationals in improving corporate governance practices in emerging economies. We conduct a case study on the privatization of Petrom, the largest company listed on the Romania's Bucharest Stock Exchange (BSE). The case suggests that the alignment of Petrom’s practices with the new owner’s (Austrian company OMV) vision and strategy, besides contributing to superior performance and accountability of the company itself, led to a significant improvement of the local corporate governance. This is a story of successful privatization which sheds light on the mechanisms of globalization and on how economic progress is obtained.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Corporate Governance Annual Report Enterprise Resource Planning System Corporate Governance Mechanism
- Aguilera, R. V., & Yip, G. S. (2004). Corporate governance and globalization: Toward an actor-centered institutional analysis. In A. Arin, P. Ghemawat, & J. E. Ricard (Eds.), Creating value through international strategy (pp. 55–77). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Annual Report. (2004). Petrom’s annual report. http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Raport_Anual. Accessed 12 June 2010.
- Annual Report. (2005). Petrom’s annual report. http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Raport_Anual. Accessed 12 June 2010.
- Annual Report. (2006). Petrom’s annual report. http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Raport_Anual. Accessed 12 June 2010.
- Annual Report. (2007). Petrom’s annual report. http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Raport_Anual. Accessed 7 May 2011.
- Becht, M., Bolton, P., & Röell, A. (2005). Corporate governance and control. ECGI Working paper series in, Finance, 2, www.ecgi.org/wp. Accessed 15 Sept 2013.
- Carroll, A. B. (1979). A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance, academy of Management. The Academy of Management Review, 4(4), 497–505.Google Scholar
- Claessens, S., Djankov, S., & Pohl, G. (1997). Ownership and corporate governance. Evidence from the Czech Republic. Policy Research Working Paper 1737. World Bank.Google Scholar
- Cojocar, A. (2013) Industria trece printr-un val de închideri care afectează creşterea economică. Care sunt cauzele dezindustrializării de după’89 şi unde s-a greşit? Am privatizat prea mult sau prea puţin? De ce nu am atras destui noi investitori? (in Romanian) [The industry undergoes a wave of shut-downs which affect the economic growth. What are the causes of de-industrialization after’89 and what went wrong? Have we privatized too much or not enough? Why did we not attract more investors?], Ziarul Financiar, 7 Mar 2013.Google Scholar
- Corporate News. (2005). Petrom corporate news, 26 May 2005. http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Relatia_cu_investitorii/Noutati_investitori/Noutati_investitori_2005. Accessed 11 Dec 2008.
- Corporate News. (2006). Petrom launches a new line of fuels [10 Apr 2006], http://www.petrom.com/portal/01/petromcom/petromcom/Petrom/Biroul_de_presa/Arhiva_presa/Arhiva_2006. Accessed on 2 Feb 2008.
- Costello, A. O., & Costello, T. G. (2004). Corporate governance in multinational corporations. Midwest Academy of Management annual conference, Minneapolis.Google Scholar
- Cuc, S., & Kanya, H. (2009). Corporate governance – A transparency index for the Romanian listed companies. Annals of Faculty of Economics, 2(1), 60–66.Google Scholar
- Curentul. (2006). Garda Naţională de Mediu "arde" Petromul [in Romanian]. http://www.curentul.ro/curentul.php?numar=20061020&cat=7&subcat=100&subart=45534. Accessed 15 June 2011.
- Krippendorff, K. (1980). Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lupu (Ioan), I., & Sandu, R. (2010). Legitimacy strategies in the annual reports – What turn to social responsibility in post-privatization context. 33rd European Accounting Association (EAA) Annual Congress, Istanbul [working paper].Google Scholar
- Olimid, L., Ionaşcu, M., Popescu, L., & Daniel, V. (2009). Corporate governance in Romania. A fragile start. The Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Management Leadership and Governance, Athens, 5–6 Nov 2009.Google Scholar
- Răileanu, A. S., Dobroţeanu, C. L., & Dobroţeanu, L. (2011). Probleme de actualitate cu privire la măsurarea nivelului de guvernanţă corporativă în România (in Romanian) [Current issues in measuring the level of corporate governance in Romania]. Audit Financiar, 2011(1), 11–15.Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2008). Foreword. In G. Roland (Ed.), Privatization: Successes and failures. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Ziarul Financiar. (2007). Petrom: The closing down of the refinery won’t have a major impact on the results, 30 May 2007.Google Scholar