Computational Approach for Measuring the Tear Film Break-Up Time in an Unsupervised Manner
Dry eye syndrome is a common disorder of the tear film, affecting a significant percentage of the population. The Break-Up Time (BUT) is a clinical test used for the diagnosis of this disease. In this research, it is proposed an automatic methodology to evaluate the BUT test. This methodology locates the different measurement areas from a video of the tear film, extracts the Region Of Interest (ROI) and performs the BUT test in each measurement area. Furthermore, it is independent of some specific features of each video such as the eye size, the intensity variation, or the starting point of the measurement frame sequence. This methodology has been tested on a dataset composed of 18 videos that have been annotated by four different experts. The average difference between the automatic measurement and the experts’ measures is on the acceptable range considering the high inter-observer variance.
KeywordsTear Film Dry Eye Syndrome Break-Up Time (BUT) Test Video Analysis Image Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lowther, G.: Dryness, tears and contact lens wear. Reed Elsevier, USA (1977)Google Scholar
- 5.García-Resúa, C., Lira, M., Yebra-Pimentel, E.: Evaluación superficial en jóvenes universitarios. Rev. Esp. Contact 12, 37–41 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Jin Hak Lee, M.D., Chang Won Kee, M.D.: The significance of tear film break-up time in the diagnosis of dry eye syndrome. Kor. J. Opthalmol. 21, 69–71 (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Yedidya, T., Hartley, R., Guillon, J.P.: Automatic detection of pre-ocular tear film break-up sequence in dry eyes. In: DICTA, pp. 442–448 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Cebreiro, E., Ramos, L., Mosquera, A., Barreira, N., Penedo, M.G.: Automation of the tear film break-up time test. In: ISABEL (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Ramos, L., Barreira, N., Mosquera, A., Currás, M., Pena-Verdea, H., Giráldez, M.J., Penedo, M.G.: Adaptive parameter computation for the automatic measure of the tear break-up time. In: 16th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems (KES 2012), vol. 243, pp. 1370–1379 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Canny, J.F.: A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE PAMI, 679–698 (1986)Google Scholar