Impact of Telematics on Efficiency of Urban Freight Transport
The need for telematics solutions to support goods transport and distribution in urban areas is mainly due to the complexity of the processes in urban transport systems and the often conflicting expectations of different groups of road users and other stakeholders of urban freight transport (city administrators, residents, traders, hauliers, etc.). The main objective is optimisation of the freight transport by ensuring adequate availability of the linear and point transport infrastructure, while reducing the negative impact of the transport system on the environment. The usability of the telematics in urban freight transport is manifested by reduced freight distribution costs as well as by increased capacity of urban freight systems. This paper is focused on the key areas of telematics influence on the functioning of urban freight transport systems, as well as its influence on the systems efficiency. The chosen good practices were used for this purpose.
Keywordsurban freight transport city logistics telematics systems efficiency of transport systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen, J., Thorne, G., Browne, M.: BESTUFS. Good Practice Guide on Urban Freight Transport (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Iwan, S.: Wdrażanie dobrych praktyk w obszarze transport dostawczego w miastach. Wydawnictwo Naukowe Akademii Morskiej w Szczecinie, Szczecin (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Taniguchi, E., Thompson, R.G., Yamada, T., van Duin, R.: City Logistics. Network Modelling and Intelligent Transport Systems. Pergamon, Oxford (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Taniguchi, E., Thompson, R.G., Yamada, T.: Recent Advances in Modelling City Logistics. In: Taniguchi, E., Thompson, R.G. (eds.) City Logistics II, pp. 3–34. Institute of Systems Science Research, Kyoto (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Taniguchi, E., Thompson, R.G., Yamada, T.: Data Collection for Modelling, Evaluating and Benchmarking City Logistics Schemes. In: Taniguchi, E., Thompson, R.G. (eds.) Recent Advances in City Logistics. Elsevier (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Wydro, B.K.: Telematyka – znaczenia i definicje terminu, Telekomunikacja i techniki informacyjne, nr 1-2, Instytut Łączności, Warszawa (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Mikulski, J.: Telematic Technologies in Transportation. In: Janecki, R., Sierpiński, G. (eds.) Contemporary Transportation Systems. Selected Theoretical and Practical Problems. New Culture of Mobility, pp. 131–143. Publishing House of the Silesian University of Technology, Monograph no. 324, Gliwice (2011)Google Scholar