CPS-CSH Cyber-Physical Analysis and Design
Existing methodologies to assess cyber-physical systems (CPSs) are hampered by their diverse nature and complexity. This paper proposes a model for cyber-physical systems design and analysis rooted in the social science approach to complex system analysis, Critical System Heuristics (CSH). The model affords an analysis at both the level of abstraction of functionality and the type of functionality within a CPS. The CPS-CSH model is developed and examples from reliability for electric smart grid systems and security for water distribution systems are presented.
KeywordsCyber-Physical Modeling Security Reliability Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lee, E.: Cyber physical systems: Design challenges. In: 2008 11th IEEE International Symposium on Object Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), pp. 363–369 (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Dueas-Osorio, L., Craig, J.I., Goodno, B.J.: Probabilistic response of interdependent infrastructure networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Meeting of the Asian-pacific Network of Centers for Earthquake Engineering Research (ANCER), Honolulu, Hawaii (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Laprie, J.C., Kanoun, K., Kaaniche, M.: Modelling interdependencies between the electricity and information infrastructures. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conf. on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP), pp. 54–67 (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Dondossola, G., Garrone, F., Szanto, J., Fiorenza, G.: Emerging Information Technology Scenarios for the Control and Management of the Distribution Grid. In: Proc. of the 19th Int’l Conf. on Electricity Distribution (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Deconinck, G., Belmans, R., Driesem, J., Nauwelaers, B., Lil, E.V.: Reaching for 100% Reliable Electricity Services: Multi-system Interactions and Fundamental Solutions. In: Proc. of the DIGESEC-CRIS Workshop 2006 Influence of Distributed Generation and Renewable Generation on Power System Security, Magdeburg, Germany (December 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Office of Electric Transmission and Distribution: “Grid 2030”: A National Vision for Electricity’s Second 100 Years (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.A summary of control system security standards activities in the energy sector. Technical report, Department of Energy, Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, Washington, DC (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Final report on workshop on future directions in cyber-physical systems security. Technical report, Department of Homeland Security (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Habermas, J.: Communication and the evolution of society. Beacon, Boston, MA (1979)Google Scholar
- 18.Amin, S., Litrico, X., Sastry, S., Bayen, A.M.: Stealthy deception attacks on water SCADA systems. In: HSCC, pp. 161–170 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Ulrich, W.: Operational research and critical systems thinking-an integrated perspective part 1: OR as applied systems thinking. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 1–20 (2011)Google Scholar