Breaking Nondeducible Attacks on the Smart Grid
The evolution of the electric power infrastructure into a smart grid carries with it the potential for residential homes to become malicious attackers on global state estimation. This paper presents an attack model where a distributed cyber controller in a smart grid executes an internal attack to falsify its advertised generation. This differs from current attack models in that the attacker is an active element of the system that participates in its normal operation. Through the use of information flow properties, the attack is proven to be nondeducible and thus unidentifiable in a current smart grid architecture. An adaptation of mutual exclusion is then applied to break the nondeducible attack.
Keywordspower grid cyber-physical information flow security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akella, R., Meng, F., Ditch, D., McMillin, B., Crow, M.: Distributed power balancing for the freedm system. In: First IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm, pp. 7–12 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Efthymiou, C., Kalogridis, G.: Smart grid privacy via anonymization of smart metering data. In: First IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications. SmartGridComm, pp. 238–243 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Falliere, N., Murchu, L., Chien, E.: W32. stuxnet dossier (February 2011), http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/media/security_response/whitepapers/w32_stuxnet_dossier.pdf
- 5.Gamage, T.T., McMillin, B.M., Roth, T.P.: Enforcing information flow security properties in cyber-physical systems: A generalized framework based on compensation. In: Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE 34th Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference Workshops, COMPSACW 2010, pp. 158–163. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Lin, J., Yu, W., Yang, X., Xu, G., Zhao, W.: On false data injection attacks against distributed energy routing in smart grid. In: IEEE/ACM Third International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems, ICCPS, pp. 183–192 (April 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, Y., Ning, P., Reiter, M.K.: False data injection attacks against state estimation in electric power grids. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, CCS 2009, pp. 21–32. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sutherland, D.: A model of information. In: Proceedings of the 9th National Computer Security Conference, pp. 175–183 (September 1986)Google Scholar