The Effects of Network Link Unreliability for Leader Election Algorithm in a Smart Grid System
Cyber-physical systems (CPS) can improve the reliability of our critical infrastructure systems. By augmenting physical distribution systems with digital control through computation and communication, one can improve the overall reliability of a network. However, a system designer must consider what effects system unreliability in the cyber-domain can have on the physical distribution system. In this work, we examine the consequences of network unreliability on a core part of a Distributed Grid Intelligence (DGI) for the FREEDM (Future Renewable Electric Energy Delivery and Management) Project. To do this, we apply different rates of packet loss in specific configurations to the communication stack of the software and observe the behavior of a critical component (Group Management) under those conditions. These components will allow us to identify the amount of time spent in a group, working, as a function of the network reliability.
Keywordscyber-physical systems critical infrastructure reliability leader election stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akella, R., Meng, F., Ditch, D., McMillin, B., Crow, M.: Distributed power balancing for the FREEDM system. In: 2010 First IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), pp. 7–12 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Centre, M.H.R.: Pscad.com (May 2012), http://pscad.com
- 3.Dawes, B., Abrahams, D., Rivera, R.: Boost c++ libraries (May 2012), http://www.boost.org
- 5.Hansen, C.V., Forcier, J.E.: Fabric (May 2012), http://fabfile.org
- 6.Kubler, S., Pahwa, S., Schulz, N., Scoglio, C.: A simulative analysis of the robustness of smart grid communication networks. In: North American Power Symposium (NAPS), pp. 1–7 (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Singh, C., Sprintson, A.: Reliability assurance of cyber-physical power systems. In: 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1–6 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Technologies, R.: Power systems simulator software: Rscad software suite (May 2012), http://www.rtds.com/software/rscad/rscad.html
- 9.Yan, Y., Qian, Y., Sharif, H., Tipper, D.: A survey on smart grid communication infrastructures: Motivations, requirements and challenges. IEEE Communications Surveys Tutorials PP(99), 1–16 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, Z., Chow, M.Y.: Incremental cost consensus algorithm in a smart grid environment. In: 2011 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1–6 (July 2011)Google Scholar