A Discovery Service for Smart Objects over an Agent-Based Middleware
This paper proposes a novel discovery framework for smart objects in the Internet of Things (IoT). The discovery service is a fundamental block of the IoT as it allows smart objects and their users to dynamically discover distributed smart objects and, specifically, the services and operations they provide. The proposed framework defines a new metadata model to describe features, services, and operations of network-enabled smart objects, and implements a service-oriented service, accessible through a REST interface, for registering, indexing, and searching smart objects. Thanks to its generic architecture and the use of open Web standards, the proposed discovery service can be easily integrated into any smart object middleware. In particular, we show its integration into an agent-based middleware supported by the JADE platform.
KeywordsInternet of Things Smart Objects Web Services REST Multi-Agent Systems JADE
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Fortino, G., Guerrieri, A., Russo, W.: Agent-oriented smart objects development. In: IEEE Conference on CSCWD, pp. 907–912 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Mastroianni, C., Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: Managing heterogeneous resources in data mining applications on grids using xml-based metadata. In: Proc. of the 17th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2003), Nice, France (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Pokahr, A., Braubach, L., Lamersdorf, W.: Jadex: A BDI Reasoning Engine, Multiagent Systems. Artificial Societies, and Simulated Organizations, vol. 15. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Sousa, J.P., Garlan, D.: Aura: an architectural framework for user mobility in ubiquitous computing environments. In: Proceedings of the IFIP 17th World Computer Congress - TC2 Stream / 3rd IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture: System Design, Development and Maintenance, WICSA 3, pp. 29–43. Kluwer, B.V, Deventer (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Vasseur, J., Dunkels, A.: Interconnecting Smart Objects with IP: The Next Internet. Morgan Kaufmann (2010)Google Scholar