An Initialized ACO for the VRPTW
The Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows is an important task in logistic planning. The expenditure on employing labor force, i.e., drivers for vehicles, accounts for most of the costs in this domain. We propose an initialized Ant Colony approach, IACO-VRPTW, with the primary goal (f 1) to reduce the number of vehicle needed to serve the customers and the second-priority goal (f 2) of decreasing the travel distance. Compared with methods that optimize f 2, IACO-VRPTW can reach or reduce f 1 in 8 out of 18 instances of the Solomon benchmark set, at the cost of increasing travel distance slightly. IACO-VRPTW can effectively decrease the number of vehicles, travel distance and runtime compared with an ACO without initialization.
KeywordsTravel Distance Vehicle Route Problem Vehicle Rout Problem With Time Window Time Window Constraint Total Travel Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Colorni, A., Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V.: Distributed optimization by ant colonies. In: European Conference on Artificial Life, Paris, France, December 11-13, pp. 134–142 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Homberger, J., Gehring, H.: Two evolutionary metaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. INFOR 37, 297–318 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Qi, C., Sun, Y.: An improved ant colony algorithm for vrptw. In: 2008 International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, pp. 455–458 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Gambardella, L.M., Taillard, É., Agazzi, G.: Macs-vrptw: A multiple ant colony system for vehicle routing problems with time windows. Technical Report IDSIA-06-99, IDSIA, Lugano, Switzerland (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Solomon, M.M.: Vrptw benchmark problems, http://web.cba.neu.edu/~msolomon/problems.htm