Generating a Conceptual Representation of a Legacy Web Application
Web application (WA) development has been fueled by the definition and evolution of web application frameworks since late 90’s. In parallel, Model Driven Web Engineering approaches have been defined and successfully applied to reduce the effort of web application development and reuse, fostering the independence of the implementation technology. Although they pursue similar objectives, both approaches have lived and evolved separately. The work presented herein tries to reduce the gap between them by defining a model-driven reverse engineering process to generate a conceptual representation from a framework-based legacy web application. This work is part of a bigger project, named MIGRARIA, whose main goal is to define a model-driven modernization process to obtain Rich Internet Aplications (RIAs) from legacy web systems.
KeywordsWeb Models Transformations Reverse Engineering Model-Driven Web Engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ceri, S., Fraternali, P., Bongio, A.: Web modeling language (webml): a modeling language for designing web sites. In: Proceedings of the 9th International World Wide Web Conference on Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Netowrking, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 137–157. North-Holland Publishing Co. (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Di Lucca, A.G., Distante, D., Bernardi, M.L.: Recovering Conceptual Models from Web Applications. In: Pierce, R., Stanrney, J. (eds.) SIGDOC 2006 Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM International Conference on Design of Communication, pp. 113–120. ACM Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Patel, R., Coenen, F., Martin, R., Archer, L.: Reverse Engineering of Web Applications: A Technical Review. Technical Report July 2007, University of Liverpool Department of Computer Science, Liverpool (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Rieder, M.: From Legacy Web Applications to WebML models. A Framework-based Reverse Engineering Process. PhD thesis, TUW (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Rodríguez-Echeverría, R., Conejero, J.M., Clemente, P.J., Villalobos, M.D., Sánchez-Figueroa, F.: Extracting navigational models from struts-based web applications. In: Brambilla, M., Tokuda, T., Tolksdorf, R. (eds.) ICWE 2012. LNCS, vol. 7387, pp. 419–426. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rodríguez-Echeverría, R., Conejero, J.M., Clemente, P.J., Villalobos, M.D., Sánchez-Figueroa, F.: Generation of WebML Hypertext Models from Legacy Web Applications. In: 14th IEEE International Symposium on Web Systems Evolution, Riva del Garda, Italy, pp. 91–95. IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Rossi, G., Pastor, O., Schwabe, D., Olsina, L.: Web Engineering: Modelling and Implementing Web Applications. Human-Computer Interaction Series (October 2007)Google Scholar