Web 3D Visualization of Noise Mapping for Extended INSPIRE Buildings Model
This paper deals with cross-domain environmental aspects of noise mapping which is commonly understood as a stand-alone initiative. Scientific core of this research lies in the integration of noise mapping with interoperable data sources, where the European Union’s INSPIRE (INfrastructure for SPatial InfoRmation in Europe) Directive is nowadays one of the main.
Principles of noise mapping according to the END (European Noise Directive), OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium) CityGML specification, X3D (Extensible 3D) and application schemas in INSPIRE are depicted at the beginning. Special attention is then paid to the specifics of INSPIRE spatial data theme called buildings, including its extension possibilities. Motivations for 3D application schema of INSPIRE buildings are discussed while only 2D application schema is the legally binding one. On the other hand, 3D application schema is recommended by the INSPIRE Technical Guidelines. We also deal with OGC CityGML specification since it is the basis for the 3D application schema. We took a step forward to publish the results of noise mapping based on INSPIRE application schema through X3D technology on the Web. This enables to disseminate information on noise mapping to wide audience through next generation Web applications.
The paper proposes formalised methodology on X3D-based application development through the XSLT (eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations). Noise mapping was taken as a use case. There are discussions on benefits and limitations of X3D visualization as well as differences between the X3D presentation and storage of 3D geospatial data according to INSPIRE application schema on buildings at the end.
Keywordsgeographic information CityGML X3D INSPIRE noise mapping
- 1.Behr, J., Jung, Y., Drevensek, T., Aderhold, A.: Dynamic and Interactive Aspects of X3DOM. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Czerwinski, A., Sandmann, S., Stőcker-Meier, E., Plűmer, L.: Sustainable SDI for EU noise mapping in NRW – best practice for INSPIRE. International Journal of Spatial Infrastructures Research 2, 90–111 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Data for 3D project, http://www.agency9.com/products/city-planner/data-for-3d-project/
- 4.Directive 2002/49/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 June 2002 relating to the assessment and management of environmental noise - Declaration by the Commission in the Conciliation Committee on the Directive relating to the assessment and management of environmental noise, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0049:EN:HTML
- 5.Directive 2003/4/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 January 2003 on public access to environmental information and repealing Council Directive 90/313/EEC, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:041:0026:0032:EN:PDF (accessed April 25, 2013)
- 6.Directive 2007/2/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 March 2007 establishing an Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (INSPIRE), http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2007:108:0001:0014:en:PDF
- 8.INSPIRE Data Specification on Buildings – Draft Technical Guidelines, http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Data_Specifications/INSPIRE_DataSpecification_BU_v3.0rc3.pdf
- 9.ISO/IEC 19776:2007 Information technology — Computer graphics and image processing — Extensible 3D (X3D) encodings, http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/ISO-IEC-19776-X3DEncodings-All-Edition-1/
- 13.Mao, B., Ban, Y.: Web-based Visualisation of the Generalised 3D City Models using HTML5 and X3DOM (2013), http://jselab.njue.edu.cn/download/conference/Web-based%20Visualisation%20of%20the%20Generalised%203D%20City%20Models%20using%20HTML5%20and%20X3DOM.pdf
- 15.OGC City Geography Markup Language (CityGML) Encoding Standard, http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/citygml
- 16.Pittarello, F., De Faveri, A.: Semantic Description of 3D Environments: a Proposal Based on Web Standards. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (2006)Google Scholar