Ingredients and Recipe for a Robust Mobile Speech-Enabled Cooking Assistant for German
We describe the concept and implementation of Kochbot, a cooking assistant application for smartphones and tablet devices that robustly processes speech I/O and supports German recipes. Its main functions are (1) helping searching in a large recipe collection, (2) reading out loud the cooking instructions step-by-step, and (3) answering questions during cooking. Our goal was to investigate and demonstrate the use of speech assistance in a task-oriented, hands-free scenario. Furthermore, we investigate rapid domain adaptation by utilizing shallow natural language processing techniques such as part-of-speech tagging, morphological analysis and sentence boundary detection on the domain text corpus of 32,000 recipes. The system is fully implemented and scales up well with respect to the number of users and recipes.
Keywordsnatural language processing speech mobile application cooking assistant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brants, T.: TnT – A statistical part-of-speech tagger. In: Proc. of 6th ANLP, Seattle, Washington, pp. 224–231 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Chouambe, L.C.: Dynamische Vokabularerweiterung für ein grammatikbasiertes Dialogsystem durch Online-Ressourcen, Studienarbeit, University of Karlsruhe (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Drozdzynski, W., Krieger, H.U., Piskorski, J., Schäfer, U., Xu, F.: Shallow processing with unification and typed feature structures — Foundations and applications. Künstliche Intelligenz 1, 17–23 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Hamada, R., Okabe, J., Ide, I.: Cooking navi: Assistant for daily cooking in kitchen. In: Proc. of 13th ACM Int. Conf. on Multimedia, Singapore, pp. 371–374 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Martins, F.M., Pardal, J.P., Franqueira, L., Arez, P., Mamede, N.J.: Starting to cook a tutoring dialogue system. In: SLT Workshop 2008, pp. 145–148. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Petitpierre, D., Russell, G.: MMORPH – the Multext morphology program. Tech. rep., ISSCO, University of Geneva (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Wasinger, R.: Dialog-based user interfaces featuring a home cooking assistant, University of Sydney, Australia (2001) (unpublished manuscript)Google Scholar