Low Complexity MAP Algorithm for Turbo Decoder
As a promising decoding algorithm for turbo codes in terms of relatively low BER, the maximum a posteriori (MAP) algorithm is most widely used. However, the conventional MAP algorithm requires a large number of computations. A modified MAP algorithm is therefore proposed for reduction of the associated memory size and ultimately power saving. A newly introduced block combing is performed for the memory efficiency such that two branch metrics (BMs) are merged into one branch metric. When calculating FSM (Forward State Metric) of the associated state transition, BM is included in the subsequent FSM, and thus when calculating APP (A Posteriori Probability), the BM is exempted and the number of computations for LLR (Log Likelihood Ratio) is reduced. Simulation results demonstrate reduced memory size in use and equivalent performance, compared to the conventional MAP algorithm.
KeywordsTurbo decoder MAP algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berrou, C., Glavieux, A., Thitimajshima, P.: Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding and decoding: Turbo-Codes. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conferences on Communications 1993, pp. 1064–1070 (May 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, I., Vallejo, M.L., Mujtaba, S.A.: Block Processing Technique for Low Power Turbo Decoder Design. In: IEEE 55th VTC Spring 2002, pp. 1025–1029 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Papke, L., Robertson, P., Villebrun, E.: Improved decoding with the SOVA in a parallel concatenated (trubo-code) scheme. In: Proceeding of ICC 1996, Dallas, TX, USA, pp. 102–106 (June 1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Bahl, L., Cocke, J., Jelinek, F., Raviv, J.: Optimal decoding of linear codes for minimizing symbol error rate. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory IT-20, 284–287 (1974)Google Scholar
- 5.Pietrobon, S., Barbulescu, A.S.: A simplification of the modified Bahl decoding algorithm for systematic convolutional codes. In: Proceeding of ISITA 1994, Sydney, Australia, pp. 875–880 (November 1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Pietrobon, S., Barbulescu, A.S.: A simplification of the modified Bahl decoding algorithm for systematic convolutional codes. In: Proceeding of ISITA 1994, Sydney, Australia, pp. 875–880 (November 1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Robertson, P., Villebrun, E., Hoher, P.: A Comparison of Optimal and Sub-Optimal MAP Decoding Algorithms Operating in the Log Domain. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications, pp. 1009–1013 (June 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Shrestha, R., Paily, R.: 2013 26th International Conference on VLSI Design and 2013 12th International Conference on Embedded Systems (VLSID), pp. 86–91 (2013)Google Scholar