Methods of the Assessment of Enterprise Architecture Practice Maturity in an Organization
Both enterprises and public sector units take advantage of Enterprise Architecture concepts in an increasing manner. Therefore, a periodical assessment of its effectiveness (maturity) and suggesting certain improvements on the basis of obtained results is recommended (e.g. by TOGAF, a de facto Enterprise Architecture development standard). This article is an overview of existing approaches in this area, and identifies its weaknesses and strengths. Also, the author’s approach to assessment of enterprise architecture practice is discussed and directions of further research work in this area are presented.
KeywordsEnterprise Architecture architecture maturity assessment architecture practice CMM TOGAF
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.van den Berg, M., van Steenbergen, M.: Building an Enterprise Architecture Practice. Springer, Netherlands (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Commerce Maturity Model, Department of Commerce, Office of the Chief Information Officer (May 2003), http://ocio.os.doc.gov/ITPolicyandPrograms/ (last visit: April 04, 2013)
- 3.Enterprise Architecture Use across the Federal Government Can Be Improved, GAO, USA (February 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Extended Enterprise Architecture Maturity Model, Institute for Enterprise Architecture Developments, ver. 2.0 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Gupta, S.: Building Effective Enterprise Architecture Developing a Business Case and Road Map for Mature, EA Practices to Maximize Value in IT Investments, SAP White Paper (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.CMMI Product Team, CMMI for Development, Version 1.3 (CMU/SEI-2010-TR-033). Software Engineering Insitute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Kohlegger, M., Maier, R., Thalmann, S.: Understanding Maturity Models Results of a Structured Content Analysis. In: Proceedings of I-KNOW 2009 and I-SEMANTICS 2009, Austria, September 2-4 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.NASCIO Enterprise Architecture Maturity Model, National Association of State Chief Information Officers, ver. 1.3 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.The Open Group Architecture Framework, The Open Group, version 9.1 (December 2011)Google Scholar