Characterization of Failure Effects on AADL Models
Prior works on model-based Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) automatically generate a FMEA table given the system model, a set of failure modes, and a set of possible effects. The last requirement is critical as bias may occur: since the considered failure effects are restricted to the anticipated ones, unexpected effects - the most interesting ones - are disregarded in the FMEA.
In this paper, we propose and investigate formal concepts that aim to overcome this bias. They support the construction of FMEA tables solely based on the system model and the failure modes, i.e., without requiring the set of effects as input. More concretely, given a system specification in the Architecture Analysis and Design Language (AADL), we show how to derive relations that characterize the effects of failures based on the state transition system of that specification. We also demonstrate the benefits and limitations of these concepts on a satellite case study.
KeywordsError Model Transition System Fault Injection Fault Tree Analysis Orbit Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Architecture, Analysis and Design Language AS5506. SAE (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.COMPASS Project, http://compass.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
- 4.Diekert, V., Rozenberg, G. (eds.): The Book of Traces. World Scientific, Singapore (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Ern, B.: Model-Based Criticality Analysis by Impact Isolation. Master’s thesis. RWTH Aachen University (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Esteve, M.-A., Katoen, J.-P., Nguyen, V.Y., Postma, B., Yushtein, Y.: Formal Correctness, Safety, Dependability and Performance Analysis of a Satellite. In: Proc. 34th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2012), pp. 1022–1031 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Flanagan, C., Godefroid, P.: Dynamic partial-order reduction for model checking software. In: Proc. 32nd Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2005), pp. 110–121 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Hecht, M., Lam, A., Vogl, C., Dimpfl, C.: A Tool Set for Generation of Failure Modes and Effects Analyses from AADL Models. Presentation at Systems and Software Technology Conference 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Holzmann, G.J.: The SPIN Model Checker: Primer and Reference Manual. Addison-Wesley Professional (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Odenbrett, M.R.: Explicit-State Model Checking of an Architectural Design Language using SPIN. Diplomarbeit. RWTH Aachen University (2010)Google Scholar