Time-Series Forecasting of Indoor Temperature Using Pre-trained Deep Neural Networks
Artificial neural networks have proved to be good at time-series forecasting problems, being widely studied at literature. Traditionally, shallow architectures were used due to convergence problems when dealing with deep models. Recent research findings enable deep architectures training, opening a new interesting research area called deep learning. This paper presents a study of deep learning techniques applied to time-series forecasting in a real indoor temperature forecasting task, studying performance due to different hyper-parameter configurations. When using deep models, better generalization performance at test set and an over-fitting reduction has been observed.
KeywordsArtificial neural networks deep learning time series auto-encoders temperature forecasting energy efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ben Taieb, S., Bontempi, G., Atiya, A., Sorjamaa, A.: A review and comparison of strategies for multi-step ahead time series forecasting based on the NN5 forecasting competition. Expert Systems with Applications (2012) (preprint)Google Scholar
- 3.Zamora-Martínez, F., Romeu, P., Pardo, J., Tormo, D.: Some empirical evaluations of a temperature forecasting module based on Artificial Neural Networks for a domotic home environment. In: IC3K – KDIR (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Ferreira, P., Ruano, A., Silva, S., Conceição, E.: Neural networks based predictive control for thermal comfort and energy savings in public buildings. Energy and Buildings 55, 238–251 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Glorot, X., Bengio, Y.: Understanding the difficulty of training deep feedforward neural networks. Journal of Machine Learning Research 9, 249–256 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Erhan, D., Manzagol, P.A., Bengio, Y., Bengio, S., Vincent, P.: The difficulty of training deep architectures and the effect of unsupervised pre-training. Journal of Machine Learning Research 5, 153–160 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Chao, J., Shen, F., Zhao, J.: Forecasting exchange rate with deep belief networks. In: The 2011 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1259–1266 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Bergstra, J., Desjardins, G., Lamblin, P., Bengio, Y.: Quadratic polynomials learn better image features. Technical Report 1337, Département d’Informatique et de Recherche Opérationnelle, Université de Montréal (April 2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Zamora-Martínez, F., et al.: April-ANN toolkit, A Pattern Recognizer In Lua, Artificial Neural Networks module (2013), https://github.com/pakozm/april-ann