Performance Analysis and Formal Verification of Cognitive Wireless Networks
Cognitive Networks are a class of communication networks, in which nodes can learn how to adjust their behaviour according to the present and past network conditions. In this paper we introduce a formal probabilistic model for the analysis of wireless networks in which nodes are seen as processes capable of adapting their course of action to the environmental conditions. In particular, we model a network made of mobile nodes using the gossip protocol, and we study how the energy performance of the network varies, according to the topology changes and the transmission power. The stochastic process underlying the model is a discrete time Markov chain. We use the PRISM model checker to obtain, through Monte-Carlo simulation, numerical results for our analysis, which show how the learning-driven dynamic adjustment of transmission power can improve the energy performance while preserving connectivity.
KeywordsSensor Node Transmission Power Mobile Node Model Check Cognitive Radio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dimakis, A.G., Sarwate, A.D., Wainwright, M.J.: Geographic Gossip: Efficient Aggregation for Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 69–76. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Donald, J.S., Yasinac, A.: Dynamic probabilistic retransmission in ad hoc networks. In: Proc. of the Int. Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN 2004), pp. 158–164. CSREA Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Mitola III., J.: Cognitive Radio - An Integrated Agent Architecture for Software Defined Radio. PhD thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Guo, L., Wang, J., Zhao, G.: Study on Formal Modeling and Analysis Method Oriented Cognitive Network. In: 2012 Fifth International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design (ISCID), vol. 2, pp. 402–405 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Norman, G., Kwiatkowska, M., Parker, D.: Advances and Challenges of Probabilistic Model Checking. In: 48th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, pp. 1691–1698. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Madhav, T.V., Sarma, N.V.S.N.: Maximizing Network Lifetime through Varying Transmission Radii with Energy Efficient Cluster Routing Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering 2(2), 205–209 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhai, H., Fang, Y.: Physical carrier sensing and spatial reuse in multirate and multihop wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proc. of INFOCOM 2006. 25th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 1–12 (2006)Google Scholar