Towards Cross-Layer Monitoring of Multi-Cloud Service-Based Applications
Cloud computing is becoming a popular platform to deliver service-based applications (SBAs) based on service-oriented architecture (SOA) principles. Monitoring the performance and functionality of SBAs deployed on multiple Cloud providers (in what is also known as Multi-Cloud setups) and adapting them to variations/events produced by several layers (infrastructure, platform, application, service, etc.) in a coordinated manner are challenges for the research community. This paper proposes a monitoring framework for Multi-Cloud SBAs with two main objectives: (a) perform cross-layer (Cloud and SOA) monitoring enabling concerted adaptation actions; (b) address new challenges raised in Multi-Cloud SBA deployment. The proposed framework is empirically evaluated on a real-world Multi-Cloud setup.
KeywordsCloud computing service-oriented architecture monitoring modeling event processing service dependencies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alcaraz Calero, J., König, B., Kirschnick, J.: Cross-layer monitoring in Cloud computing. In: Using Cross-layer Techniques for Communication Systems, Premier reference source. Igi Global (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Barbon, F., Traverso, P., Pistore, M., Trainotti, M.: Run-time monitoring of instances and classes of web service compositions. In: ICWS, pp. 63–71 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Baryannis, G., Garefalakis, P., Kritikos, K., Magoutis, K., Papaioannou, A., Plexousakis, D., Zeginis, C.: Lifecycle Management of Service-based Applications on Multi-Clouds: A Research Roadmap. In: MultiCloud (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Gjørven, E., Rouvoy, R., Eliassen, F.: Cross-layer self-adaptation of service-oriented architectures. In: MW4SOC, pp. 37–42. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Kritikos, K., Plexousakis, D.: Semantic QoS Metric Matching. In: IEEE European Conference on Web Services, Zurich, Switzerland (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Zeginis, D., D’Andria, F., Bocconi, S., Gorronogoitia Cruz, J., Collell Martin, O., Gouvas, P., Ledakis, G., Tarabanis, K.: A user-centric multi-PaaS application management solution for hybrid Multi-Cloud scenarios. Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience 14(1), 17–32 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar