Constraint-Based Approaches for Balancing Bike Sharing Systems
In order to meet the users’ demand, bike sharing systems must be regularly rebalanced. The problem of balancing bike sharing systems (BBSS) is concerned with designing optimal tours and operating instructions for relocating bikes among stations to maximally comply with the expected future bike demands. In this paper, we tackle the BBSS by means of Constraint Programming: first, we introduce two novel constraint models for the BBSS including a smart branching strategy that focusses on the most promising routes. Second, in order to speed-up the search process, we incorporate both models in a Large Neighborhood Search (LNS) approach that is adapted to the respective CP model. Third, we perform a computational evaluation on instances based on real-world data, where we see that the LNS approach outperforms the Branch & Bound approach and is competitive with other existing approaches.
KeywordsMixed Integer Linear Programming Variable Neighborhood Search Vehicle Rout Problem Time Budget Step Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Birattari, M., Yuan, Z., Balaprakash, P., Stützle, T.: F-race and iterated F-race: an overview. In: Experimental Methods for the Analysis of Optimization Algorithms, pp. 311–336 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Chemla, D., Meunier, F., Calvo, R.W.: Bike sharing systems: Solving the static rebalancing problem. To Appear in Discrete Optimization (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Contardo, C., Morency, C., Rousseau, L.M.: Balancing a Dynamic Public Bike-Sharing System. Tech. Rep. CIRRELT-2012-09, Montreal, Canada (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Gecode Team: Gecode: Generic constraint development environment (2006), http://www.gecode.org
- 8.Kilby, P., Shaw, P.: Vehicle routing. In: Rossi, F., Beek, P. (eds.) Handbook of Constraint Programming, ch. 23, pp. 799–834. Elsevier Science Inc., New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Raviv, T., Tzur, M., Forma, I.A.: Static repositioning in a bike-sharing system: models and solution approaches. To Appear in EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Schuijbroek, J., Hampshire, R., van Hoeve, W.J.: Inventory rebalancing and vehicle routing in bike sharing systems. Tech. Rep. 2013-E1, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University (2013)Google Scholar