Verifying MARTE/CCSL Mode Behaviors Using UPPAAL
In the development of safety-critical embedded systems, the ability to formally analyze system behavior models, based on timing and causality, helps the designer to get insight into the systems overall timing behavior. To support the design and analysis of real-time embedded systems, the UML modeling profile MARTE provides CCSL – a time model and a clock constraint specification language. CCSL is an expressive language that supports specification of both logical and chronometric constraints for MARTE models. On the other hand, semantic frameworks such as timed automata provide verification support for real-time systems. To address the challenge of verifying CCSL-based behavior models, in this paper, we propose a technique for transforming MARTE/CCSL mode behaviors into Timed Automata for model-checking using the UPPAAL tool. This enables verification of both logical and chronometric properties of the system, which has not been possible before. We demonstrate the proposed transformation and verification approach using two relevant examples of real-time embedded systems.
KeywordsMARTE CCSL Modes Verification Model-checking UPPAAL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.André, C.: Syntax and Semantics of the Clock Constraint Specification Language (CCSL). Rapport de recherche RR-6925, INRIA (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.André, C., Mallet, F., DeAntoni, J.: VHDL observers for clock constraint checking. In: 2010 Int. Symp. on Industrial Embedded Systems (SIES), pp. 98–107 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Arnold, A.: Finite transition systems - semantics of communicating systems. Int. Series in Computer Science. Prentice Hall (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Baier, C., Katoen, J.P.: Principles of Model Checking. Representation and Mind Series. The MIT Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Bouyssounouse, B., Sifakis, J. (eds.): Embedded Systems Design: The ARTIST Roadmap for Research and Development. LNCS, vol. 3436. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Jahanian, F., Mok, A.: Modechart: a specification language for real-time systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 20(12), 933–947 (December)Google Scholar
- 14.OMG: UML Profile for MARTE, v1.0. Object Management Group (November 2009), formal/(2009-11-02)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, Z., Pu, G., Li, J., He, J., Qin, S., Larsen, K.G., Madsen, J., Gu, B.: MDM: A Mode Diagram Modeling Framework. In: Proc. First International Workshop on Formal Techniques for Safety-Critical Systems, pp. 135–149. EPTCS (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Yin, L., Mallet, F., Liu, J.: Verification of MARTE/CCSL time requirements in Promela/SPIN. In: 2011 16th IEEE Int. Conf. on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS), pp. 65–74 (April 2011)Google Scholar