Embedding Impact into the Development of Digital Collections: Rhyfel Byd 1914-1918 a’r Profiad Cymreig / Welsh Experience of the First World War 1914-1918
This poster describes a mass digitisation project led by the National Library of Wales to digitize archives and special collections about the Welsh experience of the First World War. The digital archive that will be created by the project will be a cohesive, digitally reunified archive that has value for research, education, and public engagement in time for the hundredth anniversary of the start of the First World War. In order to maximize impact of the digital outputs of the project, it has actively sought to embed methods that will increase its value to the widest audience. This paper describes these approaches and how they sit within the digital life cycle of project development.
KeywordsPublic Engagement Digital Resource Digital Collection Welsh Language Computer Science Researcher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Warwick, C., Terras, M., Huntington, P., Pappa, N., Galina, I.: The LAIRAH Project: Log Analysis of Digital Resources in the Arts and Humanities Final Report to the Arts and Humanities Research Council. University College London, London (2006), http://www.ucl.ac.uk/infostudies/claire-warwick/publications/LAIRAHreport.pdf
- 2.Carson, S.: 2005 Program Evaluation Findings Report: MIT OpenCourseWare. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA (2006), http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/global/05_Prog_Eval_Report_Final.pdf Google Scholar
- 3.Harley, D.: Why study users? An environmental scan of use and users of digital resources in humanities and social sciences undergraduate education. First Monday, 12(1) (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Spiro, L., Segal, J.: The Impact of Digital Resources on Humanities Research. Fondren Library, Rice University (2007), http://library.rice.edu/services/dmc/about/projects/the-impact-of-digital-resources-on-humanities-research
- 5.Meyer, E.T., Eccles, K., Thelwall, M., Madsen, C.: Usage and Impact Study of JISC-funded Phase 1 Digitisation Projects & the Toolkit for the Impact of Digitised Scholarly Resources (TIDSR). Oxford Internet Institute (2009), http://microsites.oii.ox.ac.uk/tidsr/
- 6.Hughes, L.M., Ell, P., Dobreva, M., and Knight, Gareth, K.: Assessing and measuring impact of a digital collection in the humanities: An analysis of the SPHERE (Stormont Parliamentary Hansards: Embedded in Research and Education) Project. Literary and Linguistic Computing, Oxford (forthcoming, 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.See Dobreva, M., O’Dwyer, A., Konstantelos, L.: In: Hughes, L.M. (ed.) Digital Collections: Use, Value and Impact. Facet, London (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Wessels, B., Dittrich, Y., Ekelin, A., Eriksen, S.: Creating synergies between participatory design of e-services and collaborative planning. International Journal of E-planning Research 1(3) (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Hughes, L.M.: Digital Collections: Use, Value and Impact. In: Hughes, L.M. (ed.) ICT Methods for Digital Collections Research. Facet, London (2011)Google Scholar