E-Books in Swedish Public Libraries: Policy Implications
The aims of the paper are: review the situation of e-books delivery in the Swedish public libraries (as it looked at the end of 2012); identify the barriers that public libraries encounter in providing access to e-books; highlight the policy-related problems of e-book provision through public libraries. A survey was carried out in October, 2012 of all public libraries in Sweden. 291 questionnaires were issued. 185 were completed, response rate was 63.3%. The provision of an e-book service has arisen as a result of either demand or an ideological belief that the ethos of democratic values and equality of access requires libraries to offer material in all media. Librarians find the situation of e-books provision through libraries unsatisfactory: the provider of titles removes them from the catalogue without warning or explanation, there are too few titles for children and students, and access to popular titles is delayed.
Keywordse-books public libraries information policy Sweden
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CSB: Privatpersoners Användning av Datorer och Internet (Usage of computers and internet by private persons). Stockholm (2012), http://www.scb.se/statistik/_publikationer/LE0108_2011A02_BR_IT01BR1201.pdf (retrieved May 26, 2013)
- 2.Internet World Stats: Top 50 Countries with the Highest Internet Penetration Rate (2011), http://www.internetworldstats.com/top25.htm (retrieved May 28, 2013)
- 3.Bohlund K. Faktabanken, http://forlaggare.se/faktabank (retrieved May 26, 2013)
- 4.Facht U. Aktuell Statistik om E-böcker, http://www.nordicom.gu.se/common/stat_xls/2189_3090_E-bokstatistik_antologi_2012.pdf (retrieved May 28, 2013)
- 5.Kungliga Biblioteket: När Kommer Boomen? En Kartläggning av E-boken i Sverige ur ett Biblioteksperspektiv. (When will the boom happen? A survey of the e-book in Sweden from a library perspective.) Svensk Biblioteksföreningen, Stockholm (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.National Library of Sweden. Bibliotek 2012. Kungliga biblioteket, Stockholm (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Regeringens proposition 2012/13:147. Ny bibliotekslag, http://www.riksdagen.se/sv/Dokument-Lagar/Forslag/Propositioner-och-skrivelser/Ny-bibliotekslag_H003147/?html=true (retrieved May 29, 2013)