An Alternative Approach to Alternative Routes: HiDAR
Alternatives to a shortest path are a common feature for modern navigation providers. In contrast to modern speed-up techniques, which are based on the unique distance between two locations within the map, computing alternative routes that might include slightly suboptimal routes seems a way more difficult problem. Especially testing a possible alternative route for its quality can so far only be done utilizing considerable computational overhead. This forces current solutions to settle for any viable alternative instead of finding the best alternative routes possible. In this paper we show a way on how to deal with this overhead in an effective manner, allowing for the computation of high quality alternative routes while maintaining competitive query times.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Goldberg, A.V., Kaplan, H., Werneck, R.F.: Reach for A*: Efficient Point-to-Point Shortest Path Algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX 2006), pp. 129–143. SIAM (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Delling, D., Sanders, P., Schultes, D., Wagner, D.: Engineering Route Planning Algorithms. In: Lerner, J., Wagner, D., Zweig, K.A. (eds.) Algorithmics. LNCS, vol. 5515, pp. 117–139. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Cambridge Vehicle Information Technology Ltd. (Choice Routing)Google Scholar
- 7.Abraham, I., Delling, D., Goldberg, A.V., Werneck, R.F.: Alternative Routes in Road Networks. ACM Journal of Experimental Algorithmics 18(1), 1–17 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Luxen, D., Schieferdecker, D.: Candidate Sets for Alternative Routes in Road Networks. ACM Journal of Experimental Algorithmics (submitted, 2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Gutman, R.J.: Reach-Based Routing: A New Approach to Shortest Path Algorithms Optimized for Road Networks. In: Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX 2004), pp. 100–111. SIAM (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Delling, D., Goldberg, A.V., Nowatzyk, A., Werneck, R.F.: PHAST: Hardware-accelerated shortest path trees. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Delling, D., Goldberg, A.V., Werneck, R.F.: Faster Batched Shortest Paths in Road Networks. In: Proceedings of the 11th Workshop on Algorithmic Approaches for Transportation Modeling, Optimization, and Systems (ATMOS 2011). OpenAccess Series in Informatics (OASIcs), vol. 20, pp. 52–63 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Delling, D., Kobitzsch, M., Luxen, D., Werneck, R.F.: Robust Mobile Route Planning with Limited Connectivity. In: Proceedings of the 14th Meeting on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX 2012), pp. 150–159. SIAM (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Kobitzsch, M.: An Alternative to Alternative Routes: HiDAR. Technical ReportGoogle Scholar