An Adaptive Security Architecture for Location Privacy Sensitive Sensor Network Applications
Security and location privacy in wireless sensor networks has drawn a lot of attention in recent years. Yet, the existing solutions are not likely to bring an optimal security/cost trade-off for real networks. They target a single attacker model and static application scenario requirements. However, both the attacker model and the requirements may evolve during the network lifetime. We propose an adaptive security architecture that allows for a dynamic adjustment of a security/cost trade-off. It consists of five security levels, each targeting a different attacker model. The security levels deploy both existing and novel security and privacy mechanisms. We also introduce a novel lightweight scheme for the dynamic security level interchange. The proposed architecture targets a particular application scenario where both traditional security and location privacy are concerned.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Oliveira, S., de Oliveira, T.R., Nogueira, J.M.: A policy based security management architecture for sensor networks. In: IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, IM 2009, pp. 315–318 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Jiang, X., Liang, C.-J.M., Chen, K., Zhang, B., Hsu, J., Liu, J., Cao, B., Zhao, F.: Design and evaluation of a wireless magnetic-based proximity detection platform for indoor applications. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, IPSN 2012, pp. 221–232. ACM, New York (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Jinwala, D., Patel, D., Dasgupta, K.: FlexiSec: a configurable link layer security architecture for wireless sensor networks. Journal of Information Assurance and Security 4, 582–603 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Kamat, P., Zhang, Y., Trappe, W., Ozturk, C.: Enhancing Source-Location privacy in sensor network routing. In: ICDCS 2005, pp. 599–608. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Krontiris, I., Dimitriou, T., Soroush, H., Salajegheh, M.: WSN link-layer security frameworks. In: Lopez, J., Zhou, J. (eds.) Wireless Sensor Network Security, pp. 142–163. IOS Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Luk, M., Mezzour, G., Perrig, A., Gligor, V.: Minisec: A secure sensor network communication architecture. In: 6th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, IPSN 2007, pp. 479–488 (April 2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Mehta, K., Liu, D., Wright, M.: Location privacy in sensor networks against a global eavesdropper. In: IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, ICNP 2007, pp. 314–323 (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Xue, Q., Ganz, A.: Runtime security composition for sensor networks (SecureSense). In: 2003 IEEE 58th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC 2003-Fall, vol. 5, pp. 2976–2980 (October 2003)Google Scholar