Fides: Lightweight Authenticated Cipher with Side-Channel Resistance for Constrained Hardware
In this paper, we present a novel lightweight authenticated cipher optimized for hardware implementations called Fides. It is an online nonce-based authenticated encryption scheme with authenticated data whose area requirements are as low as 793 GE and 1001 GE for 80-bit and 96-bit security, respectively. This is at least two times smaller than its closest competitors Hummingbird-2 and Grain-128a. While being extremely compact, Fides is both throughput and latency efficient, even in its most serial implementations. This is attained by our novel sponge-like design approach. Moreover, cryptographically optimal 5-bit and 6-bit S-boxes are used as basic nonlinear components while paying a special attention on the simplicity of providing first order side-channel resistance with threshold implementation.
KeywordsLightweight cryptography authenticated encryption keyed sponge glitch-free masking APN permutation almost bent permutation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Aumasson, J.P., Knellwolf, S., Meier, W.: Heavy Quark for secure AEAD. In: DIAC - Directions in Authenticated Ciphers (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Bogdanov, A., Mendel, F., Regazzoni, F., Rijmen, V., Tischhauser, E.: ALE: AES-Based Lightweight Authenticated Encryption. In: 20th International Workshop on Fast Software Encryption – FSE (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.CAESAR. CAESAR: Competition for Authenticated Encryption: Security, Applicability, and Robustness, http://competitions.cr.yp.to/caesar.html
- 13.Daemen, J., Rijmen, V.: The Design of Rijndael: AES - The Advanced Encryption Standard. Springer (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Dillon, J.F.: APN polynomials: an update. In: International Conference on Finite Fields and Applications - Fq9 (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Guo, J., Peyrin, T., Poschmann, A.: The PHOTON Family of Lightweight Hash Functions. In: Rogaway, P. (ed.) CRYPTO 2011. LNCS, vol. 6841, pp. 222–239. Springer (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.IBM. IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimizer, http://www.ibm.com/software/integration/optimization/cplex-optimizer/
- 25.NANGATE. The NanGate 45nm Open Cell Library, http://www.nangate.com
- 29.Saarinen, M.-J.O.: Related-key Attacks Against Full Hummingbird-2. In: Moriai, S. (ed.) Fast Software Encryption. LNCS. Springer (to appear, 2013)Google Scholar