Towards Privacy-by-Design Peer-to-Peer Cloud Computing
Current Cloud services raise serious security and privacy concerns due to the potential misuse of user data by the omniscient Cloud service provider. Solutions proposing the “Cloud-of-clouds” paradigm just mitigate service availability threats, and additional encryption operations do not prevent users from being identified and traced. Moreover, these solutions still fail to address a main orthogonal problem, i.e. the intrinsic contrast between the provider’s business model and the user’s privacy. In this paper, we propose a new architecture for Cloud computing which addresses the protection of the user’s privacy from the outset. Cloud services are provided by a number of cooperating independent parties consisting in the user nodes themselves. Unlike current Cloud services, the proposed solution provides user anonymity and untraceability. Such architecture can still take part in the “Cloud-of-clouds”, allowing users to select service providers on the basis of the expected privacy protection.
KeywordsPeer-to-Peer Cloud privacy-by-design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cloud Security Alliance, ISACA, Cloud computing market maturity (September 2012), http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/Research/ResearchDeliverables/Pages/2012-Cloud-Computing-Market-Maturity-Study-Results.aspx
- 2.Babaoglu, O., Marzolla, M., Tamburini, M.: Design and implementation of a P2P cloud system. In: SAC 2012: 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Trento, Italy, March 26-30, pp. 412–417 (2012), doi:10.1145/2245276.2245357Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, Y., Sion, R.: On securing untrusted clouds with cryptography. In: WPES 2010: 9th Annual ACM Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society, Chicago, IL, USA, pp. 109–114 (October 4, 2010), doi:10.1145/1866919.1866935Google Scholar
- 4.Comscore, How technology and analytics drive the mobile market (February 2013), http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Presentations_and_Whitepapers/2013/How_Technology_and_Analytics_Drive_the_Mobile_Market/
- 5.Comscore, The rise of big data on the Internet (January 2013), http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Presentations_and_Whitepapers/2013/The_Rise_of_Big_Data_on_the_Internet/
- 7.Gartner, Forecast overview: Public cloud services, worldwide, 2011-2016, 2q12 update (August 2012), http://www.gartner.com/id=2126916
- 8.Gupta, A., Kapoor, L., Wattal, M.: C2C (Cloud-to-cloud): An ecosystem of cloud service providers for dynamic resource provisioning. In: Abraham, A., Lloret Mauri, J., Buford, J.F., Suzuki, J., Thampi, S.M. (eds.) ACC 2011, Part I. CCIS, vol. 190, pp. 501–510. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Park, J., Sandhu, R.: Towards usage control models: beyond traditional access control. In: SACMAT 2002: 7th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, Monterey, CA, USA, June 3-4, pp. 57–64 (2002), doi:10.1145/507711.507722Google Scholar
- 15.Xu, K., Song, M., Zhang, X., Song, J.: A cloud computing platform based on P2P. In: ITIME 2009: IEEE International Symposium on IT in Medicine & Education, Jinan, Shandong, China, August 14-16, pp. 427–432 (2009), doi:10.1109/ITIME.2009.5236386Google Scholar