Cost Models for Nearest Neighbor Query Processing over Existentially Uncertain Spatial Data
A major challenge posed by real-world applications involving spatial information deals with the uncertainty inherent in the data. One type of uncertainty in spatial objects may come from their existence, which is expressed by a probability accompanying the spatial value of an object reflecting the confidence of the object’s existence. A challenging query type over existentially uncertain data is the search of the Nearest Neighbour (NN), as the likelihood of an object to be the NN of the query object does not only depend on its distances from other objects, but also from their existence. In this paper, we present exact and approximate statistical methodologies for supporting cost models for Probabilistic Thresholding NN (PTNN) queries that deal with arbitrarily distributed data points and existential uncertainty, with the aid of appropriate novel histograms, sampling and statistical approximations. Our cost model can be also modified in order to support Probabilistic Ranking NN (PRNN) queries with the aid of sampling. The accuracy of our approaches is exhibited through extensive experimentation on synthetic and real datasets.
KeywordsSpatial Databases Existential Uncertain Data Nearest Neighbor Query Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acharya, S., Poosala, V., Ramaswamy, S.: Selectivity Estimation in Spatial Databases. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Int’l Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 1999), pp. 13–24 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Frentzos, E., Pelekis, N., Theodoridis, Y.: Cost Models and Efficient Algorithms on Existentially Uncertain Spatial Data. In: Proceedings of the 12th Panhellenic Conference in Informatics (PCI 2008), Samos, Greece (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Manolopoulos, Y., Nanopoulos, A., Papadopoulos, A.N., Theodoridis, Y.: Rtrees: Theory and Applications. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Parent, C., Spaccapietra, S., Renso, C., Andrienko, G., Andrienko, N., Bogorny, V., Damiani, M.L., Gkoulalas-Divanis, A., Macedo, J., Pelekis, N., Theodoridis, Y., Yan, Z.: Semantic Trajectories Modeling and Analysis. ACM Computing Surveys (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Sharifzadeh, M., Shahabi, C.: The Spatial Skyline Queries. In: Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Seoul, Korea (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Stanoi, I., Agrawal, D., Abbadi, A.: Reverse Nearest Neighbor Queries for Dynamic Databases. In: Proceedings of the SIGMOD Workshop on Research Issues in Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Weisstein, E.W.: Uniform Product Distribution. From MathWorld. A Wolfram Web ResourceGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yiu, M., Mamoulis, N., Dai, X., Tao, Y., Vaitis, M.: Efficient Evaluation of Probabilistic Advanced Spatial Queries on Existentially Uncertain Data. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Eng. 21(1) (2009)Google Scholar