Verification of Query Completeness over Processes
Data completeness is an essential aspect of data quality, and has in turn a huge impact on the effective management of companies. For example, statistics are computed and audits are conducted in companies by implicitly placing the strong assumption that the analysed data are complete. In this work, we are interested in studying the problem of completeness of data produced by business processes, to the aim of automatically assessing whether a given database query can be answered with complete information in a certain state of the process. We formalize so-called quality-aware processes that create data in the real world and store it in the company’s information system possibly at a later point. We then show how one can check the completeness of database queries in a certain state of the process or after the execution of a sequence of actions, by leveraging on query containment, a well-studied problem in database theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiteboul, S., Hull, R., Vianu, V.: Foundations of Databases. Addison-Wesley (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Bagchi, S., Bai, X., Kalagnanam, J.: Data quality management using business process modeling. In: IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, SCC 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bagheri Hariri, B., Calvanese, D., De Giacomo, G., Deutsch, A., Montali, M.: Verification of relational data-centric dynamic systems with external services. In: PODS (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Baier, C., Katoen, J.P.: Principles of Model Checking. The MIT Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Bilenko, M., Mooney, R.J.: Adaptive duplicate detection using learnable string similarity measures. In: ACM SIGKDD, pp. 39–48 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Bringel, H., Caetano, A., Tribolet, J.M.: Business process modeling towards data quality: A organizational engineering approach. In: ICEIS, vol. (3) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Calì, A., Lembo, D., Rosati, R.: Query rewriting and answering under constraints in data integration systems. In: IJCAI 2003, pp. 16–21 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.van der Meyden, R.: The complexity of querying indefinite data about linearly ordered domains. In: PODS, pp. 331–345 (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Razniewski, S., Nutt, W.: Completeness of queries over incomplete databases. In: VLDB (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Razniewski, S., Montali, M., Nutt, W.: Verification of query completeness over processes [Extended version] (2013), http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.1689
- 15.Sagiv, Y., Yannakakis, M.: Equivalence among relational expressions with the union and difference operation. In: VLDB, pp. 535–548 (1978)Google Scholar