Processing k Nearest Neighbor Queries for Location-Dependent Data in MANETs
KNN queries, which retrieve the k nearest data items associated with a location (location-dependent data) from the location of the query issuer, are available for location-based services (LBSs) in mobile environments. Key challenges in designing system protocols for MANETs include low-overhead adaptability to network topology changes due to node mobility, and query processing that achieves high accuracy of the query result without a centralized server. In this paper, we propose the Filling Area (FA) method to process a kNN query in MANETs. To achieve a small search area, data items remain at nodes near the locations with which the items are associated, and nodes cache data items whose locations are near their own. When a node issues a query, neighboring nodes send back their copies, which will likely include the query result.
KeywordsMANET kNN query location-dependent data LBS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Camp, T., Boleng, J., Davies, V.: A Survey of Mobility Models for Ad Hoc Networks Research. In: Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (WCMC 2002), vol. 2(5), pp. 483–502 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Chatzimilioudis, G., Zeinalipour-Yazti, D., Lee, W.-C., Dikaiakos, M.D.: Continuous All k-Nearest Neighbor Querying in Smartphone Networks. In: Proc. of MDM 2012, pp. 79–88 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Hamida, E.B., Chelius, G.: A Line-Based Data Dissemination Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks with Mobile Sink. In: Proc. of ICC 2008, pp. 2201–2205 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Komai, Y., Sasaki, Y., Hara, T., Nishio, S.: A kNN Query Processing Method in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of MDM 2011, pp. 287–288 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Manning, C.D., Raghavan, P., Schütze, H.: Introduction to Information Retrieval. Cambridge University Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Nghiem, T.P., Waluyo, A.B., Taniar, D.: A Pure Peer-to-Peer Approach for kNN Query Processing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Scalable Network Technologies: “Qualnet,” http://www.scalable-networks.com/
- 13.Yashiro, T., Porta, T.F.L.: Nomadic Agent System: Infrastructureless location based service system. IPSJ Journal 46(12), 2952–2962 (2005)Google Scholar