Two-Sided Boundary Labeling with Adjacent Sides
In the Boundary Labeling problem, we are given a set of n points, referred to as sites, inside an axis-parallel rectangle R, and a set of n pairwise disjoint rectangular labels that are attached to R from the outside. The task is to connect the sites to the labels by non-intersecting rectilinear paths, so-called leaders, with at most one bend.
In this paper, we study the problem Two-Sided Boundary Labeling with Adjacent Sides, where labels lie on two adjacent sides of the enclosing rectangle. We present a polynomial-time algorithm that computes a crossing-free leader layout if one exists. So far, such an algorithm has only been known for the cases that labels lie on one side or on two opposite sides of R (where a crossing-free solution always exists). For the more difficult case where labels lie on adjacent sides, we show how to compute crossing-free leader layouts that maximize the number of labeled points or minimize the total leader length.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Freeman, H., Marrinan, S., Chitalia, H.: Automated labeling of soil survey maps. In: ASPRS-ACSM Annual Convention, Baltimore, vol. 1, pp. 51–59 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Gemsa, A., Haunert, J.H., Nöllenburg, M.: Boundary-labeling algorithms for panorama images. In: 19th ACM SIGSPATIAL Int. Conf. Adv. Geogr. Inform. Syst., pp. 289–298 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Kindermann, P., Niedermann, B., Rutter, I., Schaefer, M., Schulz, A., Wolff, A.: Two-sided boundary labeling with adjacent sides. Arxiv report (May 2013), http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.0750
- 15.Morrison, J.L.: Computer technology and cartographic change. In: Taylor, D. (ed.) The Computer in Contemporary Cartography. Johns Hopkins University Press (1980)Google Scholar
- 16.Nöllenburg, M., Polishchuk, V., Sysikaski, M.: Dynamic one-sided boundary labeling. In: 18th ACM SIGSPATIAL Int. Symp. Adv. Geogr. Inform. Syst., pp. 310–319 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Zoraster, S.: Practical results using simulated annealing for point feature label placement. Cartography and GIS 24(4), 228–238 (1997)Google Scholar